How far from the Sun is it 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

hirop

How far from the Sun is it 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit?

Post by hirop »

I am trying to find out if there is a space green belt for in our solar system for spacecraft most likely around or past mars where in direct sunlight in space the temperature is approximately 78-80F or 25-26C where a forward space station could be positioned in relation to the sun and would require less power for temperature life support. I am trying to calculate a distance from the sun and it position in relationship to the planets. I understand that the dark side of the craft would still be incredibly cold, and I am not taking that into account. Because that would bring up a second location, no doubt closer, lets say you could disperse heat from the star side to the dark side so that the opposing temperatures created a 78-80F temperature in the craft. Would that be possible? well sure but that brings up materials, design and many other things. I am just trying to figure out the distance from the sun that an object on the side facing the sun would register 78-80F/25-26C Temperature. Thank you
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How far from the Sun is it 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit?

Post by SciB »

Hi,

That's a great idea you have for trying to find the best temperature point for a space station, but as a biologist I can't help you in figuring that out. I have heard of a group called the L5 Society (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L5_Society) that has calculated the optimal position for a space habitat and you could read more about them to find out how they deal with the problem of temperature control.

I suggest you post your question to the Physical Sciences forum. There are experts on astronomy and physics on that forum who can help you with your questions.

Good luck!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”