Genetic NCBI database questions

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

lindsay01

Genetic NCBI database questions

Post by lindsay01 »

Hey. im doing the project from genes to genetics but with the variation of parkinsons disease. i am confused on how to navigate on the NCBI gene database.
Can i tell if the gene actually LED to parkinsons? (do they have a disease or no?)
what am i even looking at on the database?
can i tell how old the person is?

id really appreciate if someone could help me.thanks!
catherineM99
Former Expert

Re: Genetic NCBI database questions

Post by catherineM99 »

Dear Lindsay01,

Welcome to Science Buddies! It is great that you are doing a project studying the genetic causes of Parkinson’s- scientists still don’t fully know all the gene mutations that can cause it. In about 15% of Parkinson’s cases, the patient has a family history of the disease, thus making it sometimes hereditary. Genetic mutations in the LRRK2, PARK2, PARK7, PINK1, or SNCA gene may lead to Parkinson’s, moreover as I mentioned before, there are still unidentified genes whose mutations can lead to Parkinson’s. Parkinson’s mainly affects the substantia nigra, the part of the brain responsible for balance and movement. Neurons in the substantia nigra produce dopamine, which facilitates movement. Mutations in the genes previously stated stops the breaks down of unwanted proteins in these dopamine-producing neurons. As a result, these proteins clog the neurons and thus kill these movement cells. In addition, genetic mutations can prevent cell defense against free radicals produced by the mitochondria. These free radicals may also build to a toxic level that kills the dopamine producing neurons.

Hope this information helped and good luck with your fascinating project!

~Catherine M.
lindsay01

Re: Genetic NCBI database questions

Post by lindsay01 »

thanks for the explanation!
Also, what should be hypothesis include?
Is it which what alleles i think will be pathogenic?

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”