Biology Hypothesis

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

mnka123

Biology Hypothesis

Post by mnka123 »

Hi, Everyone!

So I had to hand in hypothesis for the ff questions and my teacher said I did not quite follow the standard format of writing a formal hypothesis. I also read all the how to write a good hypothesis and I feel like it is right but anyway, I just want to get a second opinion and also guidance on how to write it correctly if it is wrong. Also if you can point out which part o the hypothesis was wrong. Thank you!

a. What kind of food do earthworms like to eat most?
If I were to put earthworms in the soil with a pencil, then the earthworm will likely to eat the soil rather than the pencil.
Your answer does not follow the standard format. Please review the reading material.

b. What regular polygon (polygons are 2-dimensional) has the greatest surface area to
perimeter ratio? (Identify a shape or a characteristic of a regular shape that might affect
the ratio.)
If a regular triangle’s perimeter is different from each sides and a square has 4 equal sides, then the triangle will have the greatest surface area to perimeter ratio.
Your answer does not follow the standard format. Please review the reading material.

c Is there a relationship between height and running speed in humans
If a 6 ft. male were to run with a 5 ft. male , then the 6ft male which is taller will have a faster speed than the 5ft. male

d. Do seeds germinate better in the light or in the dark?
If I grow a seed in the dark, then it will normally germinate because plants germinate without needing light.

e. What kind of pop goes flat the fastest? (Identify a type of pop or a characteristic of the
pop.)
If I opened a bottle of Coke and let it be exposed in the air, then the opened bottle will let air inside and it will go flat the fastest.
EAMills
Former Expert

Re: Biology Hypothesis

Post by EAMills »

Hi,

Generating a hypothesis in order to conduct an experiment is generally composed of two parts.
The first part is making an 'educated guess' based on information you already know about the question.
The second part involves making a prediction about what the results of the experiment will be if your guess is correct.

Here is a great resource about generating hypotheses
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... esis.shtml

I think when your teacher talks about standard format, he or she is referring to this two part model. You did a good job of addressing the second part - designing an experiment and making a prediction about what will happen, but you forgot to directly state what your guess was.
For example in a. you would say:
Hypothesis: Earth worms like to eat soil because (insert here why you decided they like to eat soil, most likely it is based on your experience that they live in soil).
Experiment: Put Earthworm in a box with soil and a pencil and see which one it eats.
Prediction: The earthworm will eat the soil and not the pencil if my guess is correct.

The answers you provided are good in terms of talking about designing and testing experiments, but in order to write a good hypothesis, you need to take a step back and explain first what you think is the answer to that question and why you think that way. After that you can proceed with how you will test it and what will happen.

I hope this is helpful, Good luck!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”