Bacteriophages

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

DariaD

Bacteriophages

Post by DariaD »

Hi! I am looking to do a project on the effectiveness of bacteriophages in killing bacteria as opposed to antibiotics. I was thinking of using amoxicillin as the antibiotic. I would like to test more than one type of bacteria and I was wondering which ones would work best in this situation, perhaps E. coli or Group A Streptococcus?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You.
pswiatko
Expert

Re: Bacteriophages

Post by pswiatko »

Hi DariaD,

I would start with some easy to kill bacteria, so E. coli should be perfect.

Peter S.
catherineM99
Former Expert

Post by catherineM99 »

Hi DariaD,

Your project sounds interesting! Just to add onto what Pswiatko said, I suggest using bacteria that is susceptible to amoxicillin. Generally, E Coli in addition to Staphylococcus aureus, are bacteria that have become somewhat resistant to amoxicillin. Streptococcus, Bacillus subtilis (present in food), Enterococcus (present in our intestines), Haemophilus, Helicobacter (present in our liver and gastrointestinaltract), and Moraxella are receptive to this antibiotic. However, I suggest using Bacillus subtilis, Enteroccus, and Helicbacter as the other bacteria are known to cause infection in humans and so would be more dangerous. Remember to be aware of the safety measures when dealing with these bacteria. The Science Buddies “Microorganism Safety Guide” will be helpful, you can find it here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... fety.shtml or alternatively, here: http://www.carolina.com/teacher-resourc ... tr11085.tr

Good luck with your experiment!

~Catherine M.
DariaD

Post by DariaD »

Thank you both so much! I have access to a lab and will make sure to take all the safety precautions necessary! By any chance, do you know where I could order the bacteria that you you suggested I use?
Thank You, Daria

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”