The Lewy Body Protien

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: The Lewy Body Protien

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

The information on nilotinib is significant. This is a molecule that interferes with tyrosine kinase and is thought to inhibit a protein that interferes with lysosomes. The lysosomes’ function is to destroy proteins that harm the brain. This is very significant because it seems to be targeted at the cause of the disease, and suggests that something is destroying brain proteins in Parkinson’s.

The article on the white blood cells is exciting also. The white blood cells that are altered in Parkinson’s patients are lymphocytes. These are white blood cells that normally destroy foreign antigens. There are T-cell lymphocytes, which help destroy tumors and cells infected by viruses by releasing cytotoxic granules that kill altered cells. Other lymphocytes are called B cells and are responsible for producing antibody in response to stimulation from a foreign antigen . The article does not mention which lymphocytes are altered in Parkinson’s disease.

These authors are collecting lymphocytes from Parkinson’s patients and will try to make cell culture lines that can be grown in the lab and studied. This research could help in understanding the cause of Parkinson’s and would possibly lead to new diagnostic test.

Neither of these papers suggest a science experiment that you could do without a lab. The first paper involves working with patients and the second would require a tissue culture lab. If you are close to the Dana Farber Institute or to Melbourne, Australia, you could contact the authors of these papers and volunteer to help. Otherwise, you may want to do a complete literature search this year and a basic experiment on memory, inflammation, or another topic that is related to LBD/Parkinson’s.

Do you have an idea of what you will be able to do for this year’s project?

Donna
ninaperry27

Post by ninaperry27 »

Its all sooo interesting , but as a 10th grader, I think I will work with planarian and exposing them to turmeric/ cinnamon. coconut oils and/or vitamins ( all which have been hypothesized to increase memory) and see how quickly they regenerate. I need to do something I can control as independent and dependent variables ... unless I get some more mentors in this process. And then maybe I can do some experimentation on the side.

Thanks so much for helping me in this journey... but I need to simplify :)
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

It's good that you are focusing on an experiment that would be feasible for you to do. A memory project on with planaria (or snails, or some other invertebrate) would involve building a maze for them to go through. Planaria are usually used for regeneration experiments, but that is a different topic.

Donna
ninaperry27

Post by ninaperry27 »

Question - How long does it usually take for planarian to go through a maze? Would I be able to observe this over a few days?

Why do you mention regeneration is a different topic. What if I have planarian eat with other super foods and or vitamins. I was hoping to show that other super foods or certain vitamins help planarian regenerate more quickly - its measurable - do these super foods increase the rate or neural regeneration. Are not they used in the most simplest form as neural regenerators even if they get split up and cannot certain additives to their foods increase their regeneration. Is that not a good hypothesis - why wouldn’t it be?
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

Planaria move about the same speed as snails, so might be able to go through a maze within an hour or two. I don’t think it would take days, but I have never tried this.

You could do a nutrition study and compare results of different foods. However, you need to find a link between the specific nutrients and the effect on regeneration. Have you looked for any research articles that document a link between healing/regenerations and specific foods or nutrients.

I mentioned it was a different topic because the regeneration project would not be related to memory. You need to have a link to LBD to make your project significant.

One problem I have seen with science fair projects that use food or herbs to show an effect is that using a food gives you a lot of variables because there are so many components in a food or herb. Showing an effect of a specific chemical like the nilotinib or other tyrosine kinase inhibitor would work, but you would need more information about the chemical composition of the food to explain why you are using it.

The Wikipedia article on Planarian includes a section on memory experiments on this organism. If you read everything about this topic, you should be able to design a novel experiment that would help explain how memory works. This would definitely be related to LBD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planarian

Donna
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

How are you doing on finalizing your project idea? If you are still undecided, then do read the article on choosing a excellent topic for a winning project.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... cess.shtml

Donna
ninaperry27

Post by ninaperry27 »

Donna,

Thank you. The decision is now to go with planarian regeneration and experiment with different dietary food groups at different PH levels.

I won second place last year in Chemistry with an experiment on Zinc and different PH levels as there is interesting research now about Zinc as a better stent metal because of it's biodegradability.

I'll keep you posted. And again thanks fro all your help. I will have to work this year on getting in touch with someone that I can mentor with in the spring, so that I can compete again next fall with a Lewy Body "type" experiment.

You have been very helpful!
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

Thanks for confirming that you have selected your topic, which is original and challenging. Please do post again if you have any more questions.

Good luck!

Donna
ninaperry27

Post by ninaperry27 »

Thank you!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”