Reaction time and Cell phone use

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

kala8571

Reaction time and Cell phone use

Post by kala8571 »

To whom it may concern,
I am planning on doing my STEM project on the effect of cell phone use on reaction time. I need to contact an expert on the field but I don't know who. Is contacting a person who gives talks about texting and driving a good choice? Is there anyone or a specific scientific field I should contact?
Thank you for your time,
K. A.
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Reaction time and Cell phone use

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi kala8571,

Welcome to Science Buddies!

This sounds like a very interesting, but challenging topic for a science project.

Someone who gives talks on texting and driving would probably be an expert in safety, but might have some background that would be helpful for you. Your topic is in the area of human physiology, so It seems like a physiology professor, a physical therapist, or someone who practices sports medicine would be able to give you relevant information. . However, if you can’t find anyone else, then the safety expert should be able to answer your questions and meet the requirements for your assignment. .

Here is a related project idea that should be helpful for you. Be sure to check out the background section before you get started.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p025.shtml

Here’s another item you should be aware of Since your project will involve working with humans, you will need to get signed consent forms from each of your participants or their parents, and you will need approval from your local scientific review committee before you start. Here is information on the SRC from this website. Do check with your teacher for additional information.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... _src.shtml

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Donna Hardy

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”