Leaves and Light. Please Help!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

hippo16

Leaves and Light. Please Help!

Post by hippo16 »

Hello,
I have a few questions regarding a science project I am working on in highschool. My project was found on science buddies and it is called leaves and light. I am using all the colors it suggests I should use, in order to see the affects the different colored light has on the chlorophyll of the plant. I was wondering if whether or not the different colors are a representation of the electromagnetic? and if it is, can I use purple for the violet section of the electromagnetic spectrum? And if it won't bother you, can I also ask about whether or not the lack of photosynthesis is an issue in our society, or practically the social issues of the the topic? Or any current tech and research related to the topic? Thank you so much for reading this.
EAMills
Former Expert

Re: Leaves and Light. Please Help!

Post by EAMills »

Hello hippo16,

You are correct that the different colors suggested in the experiment 'Leaves and Light' are based on the visible light portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. I think it is great that you want to make it your own and look at additional colors. Violet and purple are generally used to refer to the same part of the spectrum (the highest frequency/shortest wavelength of visible light) so you can certainly use purple paper to look at the effect of violet light on photosynthesis in leaves.

Broadly speaking a lack of photosynthesis could be related to societal issues related to climate change, pollution and poverty if framed in terms of a lack of trees/plants particularly in urban settings. Some neighborhoods in cities have a lack of trees, which can affect the health and quality of life of the residents.
Pollution, particularly smog in the air can block light needed for plants to perform photosynthesis, again this is particularly important for urban areas where pollution tends to be higher.
People are doing research in regards to how climate change may effect photosynthesis in plants and how pollution affects photosynthesis.

Hope this helps,
Elizabeth

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”