Heart Stent

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

LWMLWM

Heart Stent

Post by LWMLWM »

Hi!

I'm currently doing a project on heart stents.

I would like to ask if anyone knows how does a stent hold itself in place in the artery after angioplasty?

Has it got something to do with it's design/structure?

Would appreciate any help or guidance in this area!

Thanks! :)

Moderator note: I noticed your post in the Careers forum, but since you are doing a project I moved your post to the Life Sciences so those experts will see your post and help you!
pswiatko
Expert

Re: Heart Stent

Post by pswiatko »

Hi LWMLWM,

You're definitely on the right track. Please see this link for the answer to your question - https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart- ... 300452.pdf

Hope this helps!
Peter S.
LWMLWM

Re: Heart Stent

Post by LWMLWM »

Thanks for the reply pswiatko!

Yes, I'm aware the stent locks itself in place in the artery. But how does it lock itself? Is it purely by the the natural healing ability of the body, where the blood vessel lining heal over the stent? Or does it has some form of structure to help hold it in place before the scaffolding occurs?

Another question would be, how does an esophageal stent hold itself in place in the esophagus?

Thanks!

Cheers,
WM

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”