Algal Growth

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

blobfishburrito

Algal Growth

Post by blobfishburrito »

Hello! I'm testing the effects of fertilizer on algae. I was wondering if I could use a clear plastic cup instead of Styrofoam? Okay, yeah, I know, this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm being really careful. Also when it says no large amounts of algae, can there still be bits of algae inside the cups? I wasn't sure about that part. Also, for measuring the amount of algae that grows every day, is tearing the cups a good idea? (Weighing amount of cup and water only, and when algae grows, weighing it and subtracting from the previous.) I wasn't sure if that was accurate, but it certainly seems better than "rating the amount of algae there is from 1-5. Also, it says to keep it for ten days, but can I keep it for longer? Like, a month? Here's the link to the project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

Thanks, guys (or gals)! :D

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”