Testing For Bias.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Isabelyarb

Testing For Bias.

Post by Isabelyarb »

Hey...

I am having trouble calculating the Standard Error and Critical Ratio for my project...(Testing for Bias in a Photo Lineup). I had 12 Mock Witnesses, and the proportions are 0.583 chose the suspect, and 0.417 chose the fillers. Can someone help me calculate them? Thanks!

* Please respond as soon as possible.
catherineM99
Former Expert

Re: Testing For Bias.

Post by catherineM99 »

Hello Isabelyarb,

The standard error equation- s/n^.5 , applies mainly to calculating standard deviation of the sampling distribution of the mean. Since you are using proportions, this formula will not work. Instead you can use this equation to calculate the standard deviation of the sampling distribution of a proportion- (p*(1-p)/n)^.5. However your experiment results display a population distribution rather than a sampling distribution. A sampling distribution is defined as the distribution of all possible samples of size n from a population.

Good Luck and let me know if you have more questions,

C.M.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”