Cloning of Great Horned owls?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Cosmicfox7

Cloning of Great Horned owls?

Post by Cosmicfox7 »

Is it possible that later on we could figure out a way to clone species such as the Great Horned owl and once they mate, they can create a new species in a few decades? If so how? Also is it possible that they could also recombinant DNA or use selective breeding to make a new species or generation and Great Horned owl?
PharmaMan
Expert
Project Question: Registration as an Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Cloning of Great Horned owls?

Post by PharmaMan »

Hi cosmic,

This is an interesting set of questions. We have been able to successfully clone animals in the past (such as Dolly the sheep!), so it is certainly possible to be able to clone other animals in the future. The creation of a new species would depend upon how much genetic diversity is created in successive generations of offspring. I'd think that given enough generations by mating with individuals of the same or closely-related species, there might be an emergence of a new species. However, I think that there must be enough variation in the individuals that are mating over time to be able to produce this new species.

In terms of timing, I'd think it would take a lot longer than a decade, perhaps many, many decades. You would have to see a significant emergence of traits that would make the animal unique from early generations of mating in order for it to be placed into a separate species. For your last question, I think a selective breeding procedure in theory could be used. This could give rise to animals that will have traits that the researchers are interested in observing in the offspring. However, you also run into the problem that this again will take much time, and the genomes of the animals that are mated must be compatible such that a viable offspring can be created.

I'm not sure about the use of recombinant DNA in cloning. I suppose you could introduce a gene of interest into a new clone and grow the animal in order to create genetic diversity. Furthermore, I'm not terribly familiar with any ethical issues involved in these lines of research, either with the creation of a new species or cloning. But of course, these issues do exist.

Let us know if you have further questions. Also, I'd hope that someone else can give their opinion, as I'm not an evolutionary biologist, but these are what I would think.

Best,
Pharma

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”