"Rusting Out" - How to find the rate of corrosion

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Mcfuffle

"Rusting Out" - How to find the rate of corrosion

Post by Mcfuffle »

Hello Science Buddies Team! I recently completed the experimentation of the "Rusting Out" Science Project for my Science Fair. The experiment itself was great! I recorded the temperature of the heat given off during the reactions with the steel wool and I saw first hand how some acids(especially Vinegar) do in fact give off more heat during corrosion as compared to other liquids such as water. As of now I am imputing my data into my portfolio for my science fair assignment, however I need to explain my results and form conclusions based on my data. The thing is, I don't really understand what this data tells me about the corrosion rate of steel wool. On the project webpage it said that: "With a thermometer and a timer, you can measure how fast heat is being given off (the rate), and that will give you an idea of how fast the reaction is occurring." I understand the general idea that the rate of corrosion is the speed which heat is given off, but it is very general and I am still confused on how exactly I can find the rate of corrosion with my data. Any help on elaborating this concept is immensely appreciated! :D Thank you very much for your time!
pswiatko
Expert

Re: "Rusting Out" - How to find the rate of corrosion

Post by pswiatko »

Hi Mcfuffle,

Thanks for posting! I'm glad you enjoyed your project.

To answer your question, rate of corrosion = dT / t, where dT is change in temperature and t is time. Like you said, corrosive solutions give off more heat so the dT will be higher; therefore, the rate is going to be higher as well.

Hope this helps!
Peter S.
Mcfuffle

Post by Mcfuffle »

Thank you for replying to my post! It helps to know that there is a formula for this. From what I read from your post, I understand the corrosion rate= dT/t and t is time and that dT together is the change in temperature, but I do not know what d stands for and what T stands for. In other words, what do I substitute the variables with? So, for example, for Vinegar, Trial 1, Minute 1. I would set up the equation as: corrosion rate=dT/ 1 Minute, but I do not know what numbers from my data to substitute dT with. I looked all over online and I couldn't find the formula from the post and I have to input my data tomorrow so I am in quite a pickle here :oops: . Again, thank you for your help and any help is very appreciated. Thanks :D
pswiatko
Expert

Post by pswiatko »

Hi,

Sorry for replying just now!
d = delta, T = temperature, so basically together it's the change in temperature dT = Tf = Ti, where Tf = final temperature, Ti = initial temperature.

Peter S.
Mcfuffle

Post by Mcfuffle »

Thanks for replying! I know know what the variables mean but I am still don't know how to apply this to my experiment. Can you give an example using this specific project if possible? Thank you for your help it is much appreciated because the final report for my science fair project is due soon and I need to know how to use this calculation to interpret my data. Also, can I have the name of this formula if possible? I am sorry that I am messaging so much, I just have a hard time understanding this concept. Thank you so much for your help thanks!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”