properties of aloe vera

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Chancho2001

properties of aloe vera

Post by Chancho2001 »

I would like to know the basic makeup of an aloe vera plant, as well as if any of these properties are related to stopping decay, or preserving items. Also if a type of concentration of this plant could act as a preservative for other plants.
catherineM99
Former Expert

Re: properties of aloe vera

Post by catherineM99 »

Hello,

Welcome to Science Buddies! Aloe Vera is a short stemmed plant, typically 30 inches in length. Its symbiosis with the fungi arbuscular mycorrhiza enhances the plant's absorption of minerals in soil. Scientists have also discovered that Aloe Vera contains phytochemicals, such as acetylated mannans, polymannans, anthraquinoneC-glycosides, and anthrones that provide human health benefits. You may want to research these chemicals further to see if scientists have found a link between their properties and preservation. Additionally, I found an article that details how Aloe Vera gels have been created as eco friendly preservatives to vegetables and other produce. To quote the article, "Researchers in Spain have developed an aloe vera gel that can be used as an edible coating to prolong the quality and safety of fresh produce.". The gel is mainly composed of Aloe Vera polysaccharides, with antibiotic and antifungal compounds that "can potentially delay or inhibit microorganisms that are responsible for foodborne illness in humans as well as food spoilage." Here is the article, if you want to check it out:

http://mobile.foodnavigator.com/Science ... eservative

I hope this gives you a good starting point in your experiment.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions!

~Catherine M.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”