CWSF project research

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

sciencerocks18

CWSF project research

Post by sciencerocks18 »

Hi Experts,

My name is Hareshan Suntharalingam and I am a grade 10 student. I participated in the York Regional Science and Technology Fair earlier this month and I won a gold medal. I have been selected to be one of the top 11 projects to represent York Region in the Canada-Wide Science Fair which is in May.
My project was about finding an innovative solution to diabetic retinopathy (an eye complication that results from diabetes). Based on my research, I found that a compound known as fenofibrate was used to treat dyslipidemia and also used in cholesterol medicine, so my thesis was to prove that fenofibrate could have therapeutic effects on this complication by the administration of this compound in the eye to prevent the buildup of fat and lower blood sugar levels in retinal blood vessels. I was able to find several Vivo studies on the NCBI site to support my idea. However, I am still working on my research to see if I could make any modifications to this compound to increase its efficacy in treating this complication. Furthermore, part of my research was also developing biodegradable drug-dispensing contact lens to administer this drug but I also need your assistance to add the ideal features to make it the most effective method of administering this drug in treating retinopathy. My idea was using 2 layers of PLGA film with the medicine sandwiched in the middle of these 2 layers and also including micropores to allow the eye to have contact with oxygen and moisture vapour since this was a feature in contact lenses to make it more comfortable to wear as seen in gas-permeable lenses and silicon hydrogel lens.
I require your expertise in health sciences to aid my research and make my project better.
Also, this is my first time competing at a national level so can you please kindly help me?

Thank you,
Hareshan

[Administrator note: related previous post: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17191&p=59597#p59597]
pswiatko
Expert

Re: CWSF project research

Post by pswiatko »

Hi Hareshan,

Welcome to ScienceBuddies!

I'd like to help you; however, I'm afraid I'm missing the point of your post. Can you specify exactly what you need help with? What's your question?

Thanks,
Peter S.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”