See the Light by Making a Cell Phone Spectrophotometer

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Carbon1

See the Light by Making a Cell Phone Spectrophotometer

Post by Carbon1 »

Hi, I'm a high school student attempting to do the spectrophotometer experiment. I just wanted to know if a cuvette is necessary for the experiment or if there is an alternative to it. I'm asking this due to the cost of a cuvette.
kmyers2040
Former Expert
Project Question: Registering to volunteer as an expert in the forum.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: See the Light by Making a Cell Phone Spectrophotometer

Post by kmyers2040 »

Hi,
Before you start looking for alternatives, here's a few things to check out for cuvettes:
If you are looking at prices, I would recommend searching for "plastic cuvettes". There are several types of materials used for cuvettes (glass, quartz) that are significantly more expensive than plastic cuvettes. Even when you search for plastic cuvettes, you may see some high prices because they are often sold in large quantities, so you may have to do a little bit of shopping around online. You could also try contacting some of the scientific supply companies and see if they have prices for smaller quantities for students.
If that doesn't help, I would ask your teacher if he or she knows about any local labs that might have some cuvettes you could use (such as a college or university lab).

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”