LED Traffic Glove (Necessary Tools)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Brendan_Flores

LED Traffic Glove (Necessary Tools)

Post by Brendan_Flores »

Hi, I have reached the point of my Science Fair where I am doing my design and I have 2 questions, first, are there any alternatives to using Wire Strippers? I had heard online that scissors are an alternative and just want to check that on here. Second, I know I will not be able to get my hands on a soldering iron, so I just wanted to know how I would be able to pursue the project well without the use of a soldering iron.

Thank you in advance for any answers,
-Brendan Flores
kmyers2040
Former Expert
Project Question: Registering to volunteer as an expert in the forum.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: LED Traffic Glove (Necessary Tools)

Post by kmyers2040 »

Hi Brendan,
Welcome to Science Buddies!
Yes it is possible to strip wires with scissors but it can be tricky to cut through the casing without also cutting or nicking the wire.
If you won't have access to a soldering iron, then the next best thing would be a silver conductive epoxy. It's also possible to just twist wires together to make connections but the connections won't be as reliable since they can separate which may lead to a lot of frustrating troubleshooting.
Good luck with your project and let us know if you have any more questions.
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: LED Traffic Glove (Necessary Tools)

Post by bfinio »

Hi Brendan,

Kmyers is right that it is possible to strip wire using scissors or a sharp knife. We have a "wire stripping tutorial" video that shows how to do this around the 4 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/yDyjVwuy1Ug

For another alternative to soldering - look at the materials used in our "LED Dance Glove" project, which is similar to the traffic glove project. However, instead of wires and soldered connections, it uses conductive thread that can be sewn directly into the glove. You could use this approach to make a traffic glove instead:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p077.shtml

Hope this helps,

Ben

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”