Roller coaster marbles project-how to place Masonite to interrupt the foam track.

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

student117

Roller coaster marbles project: Masonite V-shape and use

Post by student117 »

Hello, I'm doing the "Roller Coaster Marbles: Converting Potential Energy to Kinetic Energy" project for a science fair at my high school. I'm having trouble figuring out how to construct the Masonite-V shape and how its supposed to go onto various places of the foam track. How is it constructed? In what manner is placed onto the foam track? Does it have to be a long length or lengthy enough to be measured? How is the marble going to be measured if the Masonite V will have the marble conflict with the little slit in the V and won't it disrupt the entire process? I really need help understanding this and it's due 1 week from 1/30. Thank you in advance and I might still have questions after you answer this one. Sorry
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Roller coaster marbles project: Masonite V-shape and use

Post by norman40 »

Hello student117,

To make your V-shape, my suggestion is to apply glue to the edge of one piece of Masonite then press that edge against the top surface of another piece of Masonite.

After making the V-shaped part, you can place it on a level surface at the exit of your foam track. Be sure to place the foam track so that the bottom of the opening is at the same height as the bottom of the “V”.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
student117

Roller coaster marbles project-how to place Masonite to interrupt the foam track.

Post by student117 »

Hello, I have a question for the Roller coaster marble project. When making the V-shape masonite, did it have to made at a certain angle or? Because if the marble rolls down one side of the V-shape (rolling down on the inside) won't it just get disrupted once it gets to the wedge that connects the two masonite pieces together? Even after you've constructed the masonite V-shape, how is it to interrupt the track? Picture a track in your head as a 2-D form, now would the V-shape be placed vertically showing the letter V or would it be horizontal like this < or this > ? I need a really clear and visible description on how to make the v and if it has to be made at an angle and also need to know specifically how the masonite is supposed to interrupt (be placed in between) the foam track. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH IF YOU CAN HELP ME IN ADVANCE.
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Roller coaster marbles project-how to place Masonite to interrupt the foam track.

Post by norman40 »

Hi student117,

My suggestion is to use the Masonite pieces to form a right angle. I think you want the “V” to be oriented vertically.

You might try placing the “V” at the end of your track first. That way you won’t need to interrupt the track at first and you can get an idea of how to measure the velocity.

The project procedure suggests cutting the track and placing the “V” at the end of the cut. After making the velocity measurements using the “V”, you can put the track back together with tape. Then you can move to another place along the track, make a cut, make velocity measurements, and reconnect the track.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”