Procedure for "Which natural substance takes out grease the best?"

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ladynana001

Procedure for "Which natural substance takes out grease the best?"

Post by ladynana001 »

Hi,
I am doing a project for my school science fair about grease. Chemical cleaners are very harmful for the human body, but most people use it anyways! I want to find a natural, clean substance to use instead but is as or more efficient than the chemicals. I will use things like coffee or lemon but the problem is how do I test it? I want to get accurate data and not guess. Initially, I was going to bake oil into a pan and try to scrub it off(With a constant way of scrubbing it), but there is no accurate way to record the data! So, I need ideas on how to do this. Please help me!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Procedure for "Which natural substance takes out grease the best?"

Post by norman40 »

Hello ladynana001,

I don’t know if there are standard methods but there are labs that conduct tests of household cleaners. Here are two examples:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/all- ... -guide.htm

http://myplasticfreelife.com/images/Alt ... eaners.pdf

My suggestion is to use the same kind of surface (maybe aluminum cookie sheets or ceramic tiles) and same kind of stain throughout your experiment.

To standardize the scrubbing you might try placing a weight on top of a scouring pad. Place the weighted scouring pad on a stained test piece then push and pull the weighted pad across the test piece for a set number of “scrubs”.

You could photograph the test pieces before and after scrubbing to provide an indication of any differences due to the type of cleaner used. And it might be possible to use an image analysis app to quantify differences in color or brightness before and after scrubbing.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”