Balloon powered car

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Monadas
Project Question: so i am doing "electrolyte challenge: orange juice vs sports drink" science project. but as said , i was supposed to turn the multimeter to DCA (V with a staright line) .. however the multimeter showed no readings at all (when set at DCA).. so then i set the multimeter to AC and then it showed readings (the readings were like 4.6 and 7.8) .. so my question is how do i calculate conductance from this ? plsss help! i am so confused.
Project Due Date: 20 May, 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Balloon powered car

Post by Monadas »

Hey
Im in grade 10 and I am doing this physics project named"balloon powered car". I am not doing it exactly the way thats given in the procedure part. I'm building the car,testing the distance it travels and making alterations in the size of wheels type of cardboard etc. most important thing is that i wil put steel weights on the car and see how far it goes then make a velocity vs time graph and tables. My tecaher said i can use a pressure meter too but i am not sure about where i will get that. My question is after making all these changes will this project be of my grade level?? If not what changes can I make..

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Balloon powered car

Post by tdaly »

Hi Monadas,

What would you be using the pressure meter to measure? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see how a pressure meter will help you measure velocity. As long as you analyze the physics of your vehicle in detail and methodically work through the engineering design process, I think you can make this balloon car project appropriate for a high-school level project.

Post back as you have other questions.
All the best,
Terik
Monadas
Project Question: so i am doing "electrolyte challenge: orange juice vs sports drink" science project. but as said , i was supposed to turn the multimeter to DCA (V with a staright line) .. however the multimeter showed no readings at all (when set at DCA).. so then i set the multimeter to AC and then it showed readings (the readings were like 4.6 and 7.8) .. so my question is how do i calculate conductance from this ? plsss help! i am so confused.

Post by Monadas »

Hi tdaly,
I don't know about the pressure meter myself. My science teacher told me to use that but I don't how. Leaving that, you said this project is of my grade level which means I have to explain in detail of the physics involved. Are you sure I have to use the engineering process not the scientific method? I don't need a hypothesis? I don't want to make any mistake with that.

Thank you
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi monadas,

A little more information about yourself will help me better help you. What grade, exactly, are you in, and what science, if any, science classes have you taken so far?

You are working on this project, correct?
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

Because your teacher suggested using a pressure meter, it's a very, very good idea to talk to her or him and find out what your teacher envisioned you doing with the pressure meter. Ask your teacher is she or he can explain what they want you to measure with the pressure meter.

The balloon-powdered car project is best-suited to the engineering design process, rather than to the scientific method. (See the "Overview of the challenge" part of the procedure.) It's a good a idea to double check with your teacher that it's OK for you to do an engineering project with design criteria rather than a hypothesis, just to be safe.

Post back as you have other questions.
All the best,
Terik
Monadas

Post by Monadas »

Hi tdaly,
I am in 10th grade in a school in Guyana, South America. My teacher didn't know herself why she suggested me to use the pressure meter, so I am not using that anymore. And yes I am using engineering method and she said I don't need a hypothesis.
I just want a little help with my project. I am making two models, one with CDs as wheels and the second one with bottle caps as wheels. And i am testing both of them by putting weights and then i will make the distance vs time graph. I just want to know if all this ok? or is there anything i can add?
Lastly, i am struggling in figuring out the title of my project. I don't want to name it balloon powered car but something else. Any suggestions will be helpful.
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi Monadas,

This information is really helpful - thank you!

Because you are using the engineering design process, you will want to identify some specific design criteria. For example, because you are interested in the car's distance at various times, one of your design criteria might be that the car "travels (a certain distance) within (a certain time)". Then you can start with a prototype, such as a car with CD wheels, and test to see whether that car goes that specific distance within the allotted time. If the car doesn't, then you can make changes (one change at a time), such as adding weights, to see whether that change helps your car meet the design criteria. Keep careful notes about each change that you make; those notes will help you remember how your car's design evolved through the various tests that you do.

As far as a title goes, how about "Using balloons to go the distance"? I agree that picking the titles for projects can be tricky. I sometimes encounter the same challenge even now as I write papers!

It sounds like you are on a good track with your project. Post back as you have more questions - we are happy to help!
All the best,
Terik
Monadas

Post by Monadas »

Hi tdaly,
Thank you so much for your help with the title and project overall!!
So far, i dont think i will have any problems.
But i would be grateful if you can guide me with the background part of the project. I dont understand what i need to research for that part. I tried searching about balloon powered car but there is nothing on google. I want to know what exactly do i put for background for an engineering project.

Thank you
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi Monadas,

I'm happy to help :)

Here are a couple of pages that you might find helpful as you work on your background research. The first page describes how to figure out what you need to research. The second page provides some suggestions for finding the information that you need.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#keyinfo
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... nformation

Basically, you should focus on learning the science that you need to know in order to explain and interpret the outcome of your study. For your project, I suggest that you do some research on friction and air resistance because these are the two forces that will eventually cause your car to stop moving.

Because you are interested in a distance vs. time graph, it would also be helpful to learn about the kinematic equations. These equations will help you analyze the motion of the cars that you build. The equations describe the relationships between distance, time, velocity, and acceleration. Have you heard about the kinematic equations before in one of your classes? If you haven't heard of these equations and you would like to learn more about them, this is a great resource:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Physics ... Kinematics

I'm happy to help explain how these equations relate to your project, specifically, if this is a direction that you want to go in.

Post back as you have more questions!
All the best,
Terik
Monadas

Post by Monadas »

Hi tdaly,
Once again thank you for your help :)
Im really very thankful.
And yes i have learned kinematic equations before and i will use it !
Monadas

Post by Monadas »

hi, tdaly
I would be glad to know your explanation for kinematic equations relating to my project. :)
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi Monadas,

I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to you. I'm traveling right now, so my schedule has been a bit different from normal.

For your project, you know the initial position of the car and the initial velocity of the car. Because you are measuring the distance of the car at different times, you can calculate the car's velocity over each time interval.

velocity = (distance traveled in a time interval/time interval)

You can then compare the velocities of each car, in addition to the final distance traveled.

That's one example of how you can use kinematics to analyze your experiment. How do you plan on gathering the data for your distance vs. time graph?
All the best,
Terik
Monadas

Post by Monadas »

Hi tdaly,
My science fair presentation is next week Monday. I am still not done testing the two models of car I made: One with smaller wheels and one with bigger wheels. Are two models ok? So far I have the problem, background, materials, procedure, proposed solution, possible solutions and design. Do I need a research question (purpose) for engineering project? And do I include my proposed solution, which is a balloon car, in the list of possible solutions???

And my last query is how can this car be used in the future? How will it work if it has to work for real life? My teacher told me to look for" how does a hovercraft work". If you can please explain on this part then it would be great.
tdaly
Former Expert

Post by tdaly »

Hi Monadas,

In my experience, it is a good idea to stop working on the project a few days early so that you have enough time to finalize your presentation. As a result, it's OK to stop with two two models that you already have and spend the next few days finishing up your analysis of the tests that you did do and putting finishing touches on your presentation.

I'm glad to hear that you have worked on your problem, background, materials, procedure, proposed solution, possible solution, and design. No, you do not need a research question (purpose) for an engineering project. Instead, you need to identify the problem you are trying to solve or the need you are trying to meet. The section might be better called a "test plan", if that section describes how you were testing the two cars. Yes, you should include your proposed solution (the balloon car) in the list of possible solutions. Then, you can explain why you chose to work on the balloon car solution instead of one of the other solutions you proposed.

With regards to how this car can be used in the future: you have a couple of options here. First, you could explain how other machines used stored energy to propel something. A rocket, for example, works on a very similar principle, although in that case the propellant is rocket fuel, instead of air. This website explains more about the similarities (and differences) between a balloon car and a rocket:

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/BGP/A ... _easy.html

Second, you could explain how the engineering design process is useful in real life. For this option, you could explain how engineers use test plans, design criteria, an iteration to invent and improve new products.

Post back as you have other questions!
All the best,
Terik
Monadas

Post by Monadas »

Hi, tdaly,
Thank you very much for the information.

So for each model I have a table like this:
Time trial 1 Time trial 2 Average time Distance (m) Speed
And i have the data for this too. Now I don't really understand that how a distance vs time or velocity vs time graph will show which car model is better. Please help me
And I will do the test with pennies so for that do i need to decide on a specific amount of pennies that the final model should carry before I do the testing??
Or is there any other test i can possibly do

Thank you
Monadas

Post by Monadas »

Those 1m ,2m ,3m ,4m are for distance
I didnt put the actual data table just a outline

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”