Questions about Laser guns

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Vann

Questions about Laser guns

Post by Vann »

I actually have a project for myself to make a laser gun so I have a question

what are the requirements to make a laser gun?
1.Laser pointers
2.?????
3.?????
4.?????
and etc.

so please answer me, I really wanted to try this
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Questions about Laser guns

Post by tdaly »

Hi Vann,

Can you please provide some more details about your laser gun project? Is this for a school science or engineering fair? What do you want your laser gun to be able to do? Telling us more about your project and your goals for it will help us help you more effectively.

I look forward to hearing more about your project.
All the best,
Terik
Vann

Post by Vann »

actually it is for my brother's project their 1 week is to make a blueprint, and 2 weeks is build it, and they should invent something or use the other ideas on the internet and improve it and since they will compete on other groups on the other sections of the school, so we made a plan to make something like a center of the attention, well since we are not even a Mechatronics Engineers or Electronic Engineers or Nanoengineers, we instead try to think of something that we think we can build it and make it work, and what we plan is a laser gun or an exosuit(but Exosuits are like not-now)

so now I just found this on the internet and was thinking to use these as building practice:

DVD Burner/Driver Diode
100 ohm Potentiometer
10 ohm Resistors
1N4001 Rectifier Diode
47uf 35v Capacitor
and 6 or above volt Power Source
(Soldering and Wires are obviously included)

but I still don't know where to get a 12x30mm Aixiz Laser Housing here in the philippines

we plan to make a laser sniper rifle that could do a 200-500 watt shot, I mean seriously, me and my brother are dangerous mad men, and I have more questions except for requirements to make a Laser gun:

If I have a 5 watt laser pointer and 3 aligned Magnifying Glasses, and I point the laser point on the aligned magnifying glasses, will it become more powerful or widens the light of the laser and be the same or something else?

If I only have one DVD Burner/Driver Diode and a hand sized teddy bear, and I want to increase the single DVD Burner/Driver Diode's power until it can burn the teddy bear in a few seconds or an instant then what should I do? should I need something to put more? or should I only needed to put more DVD Burner/Driver Diode? or the DVD Burner/Driver Diode will not work at all?

how can I put sounds on the laser gun whenever I triggered it?
Last edited by Vann on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vann

Post by Vann »

plus I am his little brother and I won't miss this chance to make something so true in my life, my goals is very hard so I am making my goal as a secret
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by theborg »

Van,

A 200W laser is an insane amount of power to have in a hand held laser. A 5W laser is enough to burn material and start a fire. Building something that powerful out of a dvd laser diode wouldn't be feasible. These diodes are around 300-400mW (less than half a watt). As a rule of thumb, the output power is around 85% of the input current of your circuit, so to get 300-400mW output you need a circuit that drives around 350-450mA of current. You can't force the power output of the laser higher than this (at least not for a long period of time) as it will destroy the diode.

As for focusing your 5W laser pointer with lenses. It will not increase the total power of the beam. What it dies is concentrates the beam so more of the power is focused onto a single point.

Many of the things you are talking about can be quite dangerous. Even a relatively low power laser can cause damage to the eyes and burn skin.

Please take care if you build or experiment with lasers. Please have an adult to help.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml
Vann

Post by Vann »

now I have questions:
What are the branches and principles of science is related to Laser?

is there a system of a laser? like for example Hydraulic Drive System, or if a system for lasers doesn't exists actually then it is okay for me, just making sure actually

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”