HELP HELP!! ITS URGENTT!! Enthalpy change

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Shebnam

HELP HELP!! ITS URGENTT!!

Post by Shebnam »

How do you find out enthalpy change for for the displacement reaction (iron 3 sulphate +zinc= zinc sulpahte +iron) if i have different concentrations of iron 3 sulphate ?
Shebnam

HELP HELP!! ITS URGENTT!! Enthalpy change

Post by Shebnam »

hello , I'm an IB senior student . I was how can find the enthalpy change of this displacemnt reaction (iron 3 sulphate +zinc) when i have different concentrations of iron 3 sulphate (0.25 ,0.5,075,1.00 molar) ?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HELP HELP!! ITS URGENTT!!

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Shebnam and welcome to Science Buddies.

This post seems very similar to your second post which you posted in the Physical Sciences forum.
Please keep all your posts together!
I will merge this post with your post in the Physical Sciences forum. That will help to keep the responses together.
Thank you!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HELP HELP!! ITS URGENTT!! Enthalpy change

Post by norman40 »

Hello Shebnam,

I’m assuming that you want to measure the enthalpy change for the reaction you mentioned. A calorimeter experiment is used to measure reaction enthalpy. The following links describe the procedure for this kind of experiment:

http://www.uccs.edu/Documents/chemistry ... imetry.pdf

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p092.shtml

Reaction enthalpies depend on the amounts of reactants that are converted to reaction products. For example, formation of 2 moles of zinc sulphate will yield an enthalpy change that is twice as large as that from formation of one mole. So the different iron sulphate concentrations you mentioned will give different enthalpies (assuming constant solution volume).

You could measure the enthalpy change for a constant volume each iron sulphate concentration, making sure that you always add an excess of zinc to the solution. A graph of the molar amounts of iron sulphate (x-axis) versus measured enthalpy change should show a straight line. The slope of this line is the enthalpy change per mole of iron replaced by the zinc.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”