Chemistry Internal Assessment Lab Ideas (HELP)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ctutu

Chemistry Internal Assessment Lab Ideas (HELP)

Post by ctutu »

I am a student in grade 11 IB (HL) Chemistry and I am seeking an idea as a topic for a lab experiment. It must be relatively creative in the sense that it can branch off of a previously completed experiment or a supported new one. It can be related to any chapter of IB (HL). Some elements that are not permitted to be used are Alkali metals, strong bases and acids. The topic must be connected to a real-life situation such as implications in the household. Some example of compounds that can be used are baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, milk, soap, etc. I would be very pleased if anyone can help me with this! :D
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Chemistry Internal Assessment Lab Ideas (HELP)

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Ctutu,
Please try the search engine located on the science buddies site at
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... oraproject

If you search with the term "household," I think you will find a few project that should work within the parameters you described. Good Luck and Have fun with the experiment!
Willey
ctutu

Post by ctutu »

LeungWilley wrote:Hi Ctutu,
Please try the search engine located on the science buddies site at
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... oraproject

If you search with the term "household," I think you will find a few project that should work within the parameters you described. Good Luck and Have fun with the experiment!
Willey
Alright thank you!
keenman1

Post by keenman1 »

Hi, I am a 12th grade IB Chemistry HL student. We are working on our IAs in class and I am struggling to find an experiment that I can perform where I can measure the exact concentration of sodium in Gatorade to see if there is a difference between experimental sodium concentration and the labelled amount of sodium in Gatorade. Is this a valid chemistry experiment or is there a more realistic experiment I could perform using the conductivity of Gatorade?
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hi keenman1,

There is a Science Buddies project in which the conductivity of orange juice and sports drinks is compared (you could certainly include Gatorade). The project is described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... nk#summary

If this project doesn't fit with your interests perhaps you can modify it to suit. There are some additional ideas in the “Make it Your Own” section of the project.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”