Please Help: Select liquids to compare boiling points

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Ctran
Project Question: I really need some topic ideas for Chemistry STEM project. Please advise if any below ideas are good: What is the boiling points of different liquids?, What kind light bulbs emit the most heat?, What kind of batteries last the longest?, What soap dissolves the fastest in room temperature water?, Which fruit has the most sugar? And, Melting rate of different kinds of candles? Please help me, Thanks, James
Project Due Date: 10 Sep.
Project Status: I am just starting

Please Help: Select liquids to compare boiling points

Post by Ctran »

My 10th grade Science project will investigate why different liquids have different boiling points. What are common liquids should I select so I can buy/obtain? I am considering pure water, Vinager, witch Hazel, olive oil, alcohol. And how many liquids must be selected: 2 or 3? Thanks much, James
jkim77
Former Expert
Project Question: Student Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Please Help: Select liquids to compare boiling points

Post by jkim77 »

Hi,
I think you should experiment on three liquids: Water, Olive Oil, and Alcohol(Ethanol) because they all have very different boiling temperatures.
You might want to reconsider Witch Hazel if you're thinking of incorporating Witch Hazel in your project because I don't think Witch Hazel is a common liquid.
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a

Post by audreyln »

I think you should reconsider the safety of testing both olive oil and alcohol.

Boiling alcohol will give off flammable alcohol vapors. The boiling point of olive oil is very high and heating oil on your stove that hot is very dangerous. The smoke point of the olive oil is lower than the boiling point.

If you boil witch hazel or vinegar you should do it in a well ventilated area.

I would suggest you test how adding certain things to water can elevate or depress it's boiling point. For example, many people add salt to their water when they are boiling pasta to make it boil at a slightly lower temperature. You could investigate how different concentrations of salt change the boiling point.

Good luck!
nmaciel

Post by nmaciel »

Hi -
I'm trying to help my son come up with a title for his project. Project consists of comparing the boiling points of several liquids. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi nmaciel,
What was the hypothesis for the experiment? I would recommend leading with that. (Something along the line of "Effect of x on Boiling Temperature) Probably not the most catchy title but could serve as a starting point.
Good Luck!
Willey

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”