Chemistry topics?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mscho527
Project Question: receiving new information
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

Chemistry topics?

Post by mscho527 »

Hi. I'm a currently 11th grade student, and looking to find topics on chemistry.
I've gone through topic recommendations in various websites, but most of them seem to be quite cliche.
Which way would be a good method to find a good topic?
I've tried on reading science news from websites like Futurity, but those websites are about too advanced research (grad level mostly).
I think there isn't much resource to note for pre-college topics.
Any suggestion would help.
Thanks in advance!
Project Question: In my project my group and I want to mimic the nerves that would connect the eyes to the brain. This has been done with the ears to allow people who were once deaf to hear. We wondering how, (if possible) could the procedure could be done and if it would be possible to achieve mimicking the nerves in the first place.
Project Due Date: This is due in two weeks, but my group and I would like to continue this outside of school if this is possible.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Re: Chemistry topics?

Post by 111929 »

One idea is to use molecule splitting. I did this in my chemistry class and found it quite interesting. I believe this is called Borax and is very cool. If you Google it or something I'm sure something will pop up. You could make little bags of this and if you press down you can feel a little barrier. That is the chemical bond that the molecules have formed and can be broken but will rapidly bond again.

Hope this helps,

Andrew
Schmetterling14
Project Question: No science project here. Just looking to help out.
Project Due Date: June 15,2014
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Chemistry topics?

Post by Schmetterling14 »

You can look at chemical bonds ( a thing I had to learn for my pharmacology degree), stoichiometry, pH testing, rates of chemical reactions, chemical equilibrium, and one of my favorites thermodynamics ( learned about it in physics and got to blow stuff up). Check out the website chemistry.about.com it's got these ideas and more for non-college level students.

Best of luck

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”