Any suggestions on how to make Planetary Science "practical"?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

janet41
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Any suggestions on how to make Planetary Science "practical"?

Post by janet41 »

My daughter just presented at the regional science fair. The good news is, she did better than she's ever done before. The bad news is, the interview question that's stumping her is: "How is your work useful here on earth?"

All of her projects have been "curiosity driven science." Really, no practical use whatsoever. This one is about using a Mars climate model to see if the winds it outputs match a bedform of plains ripples. She's been working with an advisor over email so I'm not the one to ask about details. All I do anymore is proofread the board and coach her on her presentation.

I'm trying to figure out how to coach her on this question for the state science fair: The best I can come up with is that her question fits into MEPAG goals, so it is interesting to other scientists here on earth who are also working on related questions, and it all fits together to lead to a better understanding of Mars.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Any suggestions on how to make Planetary Science "practical"?

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi Janet41,
Some of the schools have pretty good description that may help. Here's one from Harvard: http://eps.harvard.edu/

Good Luck and please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help!
Willey

P.S. I think one of the expert on this site is a planetary scientist and may have even more insights.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”