Cryptography and Steganography Science Fair Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

inkerina

Cryptography and Steganography Science Fair Project

Post by inkerina »

I'm a 12th grade student interested in a science project in cryptography and steganography for my school's science fair. I chose this path of computer science partly because my coding skills are weak (even though I've taken computer classes for 3 years) and partly because I wanted a more math-oriented field. After doing my research, I found that for my science project, I wanted to test how to implement both cryptography and steganography techniques to maximize data security in a message. My plan to execute this is skewered by the fact that my topic is very advanced and usually requires years of complex math. So far, this has been my plan:

Q: which cryptographic algorithm and which steganography technique put together will result in the most efficient, secure data?

I will be testing 3 cryptographic algorithms: DES, AES, and RSA
I will be testing 3 steganography techniques: Adding bits to a file, and Least Significant Bit (LSB), and RGB color encryption

The purpose is to see which two combination of methods offer the most security, and at the moment there are 3x3=9 combinations of tactics I can test to see which is strongest.

So far example, using the crypto library in Java, I would be able to implement one of the cryptographic algorithms into my code for encryption. Then, using a steganography software tool, I would then hide the file using one of the steganography techniques. I was thinking the security of the combined techniques could be measured by the encryption time (the higher it is, the less efficient and secure), but my main concerns are:

1. Is this a practical project? Can this be executed like a true science fair project
and
2. In what way other than encryption time should I measure the 'effectiveness' of the two techniques?

I have to start collecting data very soon, and I feel as though I'm underestimating how complex this experiment is. But I would really like feedback!
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Cryptography and Steganography Science Fair Project

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello, inkerina, and welcome to Science Buddies.

You have, indeed, chosen a complex but very interesting project. I am not familiar with cryptography and steganography techniques, but I can give some generic advice to try and answer your questions.

This can absolutely be a science fair project. By comparing different combinations of encryption techiniques, you will be using the Scientific Method to observe how the different combinations might affect your outcome.

Only you can answer if this is a practical project for you. You should make this decision based on:
1. How long will it take you to conduct the experiment and does your deadline allow for this? Since you say your programming skills aren't strong, generating a working code might take longer than you predict.
2. How comfortable are you with your current skills to be able to execute the code? From what little I know about encryption, you are correct in that more complex encryption methods involve a high complexity of math.

To keep it simple, I recommend taking baby steps with your code. Take the easiest encryption method for both cryptography and steganography and see if you can generate working code for those. After this initial step, you can reevaluate whether this will be a feasible project within the time allowed and your coding skill set. Perhaps, based on time and complexity, you can't measure all 9 combinations, but perhaps a few? Through your research, can you identify the top 3-4 combinations (most popular, most feasible for the average consumer to use at home, etc)

As far as measuring outcome:
- Time to encrypt is one way to measure; but is this the most important measure for encryption? It can be. On one hand, if time were a factor, they wouldn't encrypt in the first place. On the other hand, perhaps the encryptors have a maximum time limit for feasibility of using encryption but still getting the job done in a timely manner.

- Why do people encrypt code in the first place? Probably for security measures so that only their intended audience can read the message. So, when choosing an encryption method, you want to choose the "most secure" (id, hardest for hackers to break) method. How would you test for this?

I hope this helps. Certainly write back if you have any additional questions.

Good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”