Machine Learning Problem- Creating a Word Feature Vector in Octave

Ask questions about projects relating to: computer science or pure mathematics (such as probability, statistics, geometry, etc...).

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, Moderators

thedarkdealer

Machine Learning Problem- Creating a Word Feature Vector in Octave

Post by thedarkdealer »

Hello,

I am a high-schooler with an internship at a college in my city. I hope to take the work done here to science fair eventually. I am currently working on a machine learning project where we hope to use unsupervised learning to cluster text among thousands of articles in our database to see if there are any relevant relationships among words in the data that would not be apparent otherwise. My instructions are to create a word feature vector of 0's and 1's based on whether the word corresponding to the index appears. To begin, I would just be testing this out with the titles of articles. I would like to write a script to do this if possible.

I have GNU Octave installed and would be using that to do this, and I am familiar with the concept, but I don't have any idea about how to actually implement this with code in Octave.

Any advice on how to go about doing this would be greatly appreciated!
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Machine Learning Problem- Creating a Word Feature Vector in Octave

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Dark Dealer,
You could search the internet for sample Octave code. For example, here is a link to a tutorial that looks helpful:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Octave_Pr ... g_Tutorial

Let us know if you have additional questions!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Math and Computer Science”