hovercraft- how powerful does leafblower need to be?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Laur64

hovercraft- how powerful does leafblower need to be?

Post by Laur64 »

My son and his grandfather are building the "Riding on Air—Build a Real Hovercraft " project, and we were wondering how powerful the leafblower needs to be in order for this project to work? The gas blowers we have seen are rated in cfms, but we have seen electric blowers described in terms of volts and MPH. We'd prefer and electric or battery powered leafblower if it would be powerful enough. Thanks!!
324B21
Former Expert
Project Question: Setting up an account to hopefully volunteer and help others learn and enjoy science!
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: hovercraft- how powerful does leafblower need to be?

Post by 324B21 »

Hey there.

This is a super exciting project. I am so glad the two of them have decided to take this on together!

The answer to your first question is less about the power (anything 400 CFM or higher will do) and more about the air flow volume of the hovercraft. If the hovercraft is not working at first make sure they double check their measurements to ensure that everything is at the necessary distance. This, and not the power used is the main source of trouble experienced with this project. As I recall, the skirt has caused several project builders difficulty, so have them pay especially close attention with those steps.

In answer to your other question: Absolutely. Either gas or electric will be just fine. Just please be careful that the cord length will not become an issue by making sure it is long enough.

Hope this helps. If you or they need any further assistance, please reach out again. Tell them from us here to have a great time.

Elizabeth
Laur64

Post by Laur64 »

Thanks so much, sorry to ask again, but I just want to be sure they have the right parts to make this work!!. The more economical blowers don't have a cfm number. I'm looking at an 18 V machine, does that seem like it would be powerful enough?
324B21
Former Expert
Project Question: Setting up an account to hopefully volunteer and help others learn and enjoy science!

Post by 324B21 »

Laur64 wrote:Thanks so much, sorry to ask again, but I just want to be sure they have the right parts to make this work!!. The more economical blowers don't have a cfm number. I'm looking at an 18 V machine, does that seem like it would be powerful enough?
No problem. Happy to help. How much weight is going to be on top of the hoverboard (aka..how much does your son weigh)?

Elizabeth
Laur64

Post by Laur64 »

Thanks! He is 70 pounds.
324B21
Former Expert

Post by 324B21 »

Hey there.

That is going to be cutting it really close. While it should work--it is not going to be "fun working" so much as.."somewhat functional working". If feasible I would suggest upping the voltage. Even 20V would make a bit of a difference. But yes, 18V should work.

Elizabeth
Last edited by 324B21 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laur64

Post by Laur64 »

Thank you!!

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”