soda and mentos

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

my3kidsarefirst

soda and mentos

Post by my3kidsarefirst »

Will soda and mentos still erupt if the soda is poured into a different container first?
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: soda and mentos

Post by theborg »

my3kidsarefirst,

Welcome to the forum. Great question and one that can be tested quite easily with the scientific method. First, the reaction you see between soda and mentos is due mostly to a process called nucleation. This is where the carbonation in the soda reacts with the porus surface of the mento causing a rapid escaping of the gas trapped in the liquid. I would expect some carbonation would be lost as a result of pouring the soda from one container to another. It would be an interesting experiment to see the reduction in the observed reaction given reducing levels of carbonation (i.e. how does the reaction reduce as the soda becomes more "flat"). Also, given the same carbonation, how does the size of the mento affect the reaction. Both these lines of experimentation would require several samples of soda and a couple tubes of mentos, perhaps a video camera to video the reactions for comparison.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”