Lego Tower Data Analysis

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

nimotiti

Lego Tower Data Analysis

Post by nimotiti »

Hi!
My son is in first grade and he is doing the Lego tower experiment. He has modified it and is making a single base footprint tower with different heights and testing it against the winds( hairdryer). His conclusion is that by making a strong base and adding wind channels to a building, the buildings stands strong against the winds and does not fall. We are stuck at the graph! How do we plot a graph based on this information ? Please help us as this project is due on Monday and we only have one day to complete it
Thank you
stephaniebie
Former Expert

Re: Lego Tower Data Analysis

Post by stephaniebie »

Hello nimotiti,

To find the best graph for your son's experiment, try identifying your independent and dependent variables first. From the information given, I assume the independent variable is the height of the tower and the dependent variable is the strength of the tower. Accordingly, you would plot the height of the tower versus the strength of the tower on your graph (independent variable on the x-axis and the dependent variable on the y-axis). However, there is one issue in that there is no single way to measure the "strength" of a tower or hairdryer, it just depends on how you define the strength. For instance, you could put a ruler at the top of your tower and measure how much the top of the tower moves and plot the change in distance on the y-axis (see the images below).

Furthermore, if you have more time to work on the procedure, I would recommend that you change only one aspect of the experiment for each trial so that you can effectively measure the relationship between the independent and dependent variables (i.e. the tower's height and its strength). For example, you mentioned a variable height but also added wind channels and a strengthened base. This adds two more independent variables to the experiment. If you want to test just the height, try to keep everything else constant (i.e. try not to change the base or add wind channels).

Good luck and feel free to write back with any more questions! :D
Stephanie Bie

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”