INTERVIEWS: IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

General announcements from Science Buddies and information about how to post in the forums.

Moderator: AmyCowen

amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

INTERVIEWS: IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

Post by amyc »

[All interview requests should be posted in the Interview Requests forum: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... m.php?f=82]

For those of you who have been asked to interview an expert as part of your science fair project, please remember and abide by the following:

(1) The posting of your personal contact information, such as email addresses, phone numbers, instant messaging IDs, etc. is prohibited to protect your safety and privacy.

(2) Please do not ask the Experts for their contact information. All communication at Ask an Expert takes place within the Forums in order to protect the safety and privacy of those who use the Forums. That means that if you ask questions, the Expert(s) will respond to them here in the Forums.

(3) Post your interview questions AT LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE your due date (earlier is even better!), otherwise it is unlikely you will get answers in time. While we have a diverse group of Experts who volunteer in the Forums, most of them check the Forums once a week, and we do not have an Expert in every single possible area of science. For this reason, if you do not receive a response to your questions within 48 hours, please make alternative arrangements/seek out an expert elsewhere.

(4) Please do NOT post background research questions about your project. Examples of background research questions are: "What ingredients are in bread?" "What is DNA and how does it replicate?" "Why do plants need the sun to survive?" "How does an electric motor work?" It is the student's job to try and answer such questions by doing their own research. Interview questions should be about the expert being interviewed, NOT questions you want to have answered about your project. Examples of good and relevant interview questions are: "How long have you worked in this field?" "Why did you become a scientist?" "What do you like most about being a biologist?" "I think my project is useful and important because [discuss why you think it is useful]. Do you agree?"

If you are having trouble finding a resource to answer a background research question, or you don't understand a particular concept, it is fine to ask a more specific question AFTER doing your best to figure it out on your own. However, such questions still do not make good interview questions. Please ask those questions in a different post under the same topic.

(5) You will have the most success if you make your questions relatively general (i.e. instead of asking specific questions about chocolate, ask about working in chemistry or physics). Questions that are too specific will potentially go unanswered unless the Expert happens to work with exactly the topic mentioned. Your interview questions might ask about working in a certain field (physics, chemistry, etc.), or how the Expert became interested in science, etc.

Please give your teacher this information if his or her instructions for interview questions differ from these guidelines.

If you have any questions, please contact us at scibuddy@sciencebuddies.org

Thank you,

Science Buddies Staff
hariz90
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Re: IMPORTANT INFORMATION regarding INTERVIEWS

Post by hariz90 »

Thank you for this informations
K-Rock
Project Question: undecided
Project Due Date: January 2011
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by K-Rock »

thanks for this info
sciencelady
Project Question: why do hot air balloons float?
Project Due Date: may 1, 2010

Post by sciencelady »

This is really super helpful. Thank you :mrgreen:
RealLilDawn1000
Project Question: ALL
Project Due Date: Dec.17,2010

Post by RealLilDawn1000 »

I NEED HELP :!:
Calvin
Project Question: What surface will a toy car go faster down mulch, grass, or rocks?
Project Due Date: December 17th 2010

Post by Calvin »

Thanks for the info i would have never known!!!!!! :|
mkhammer
Project Question: What effect does the temperature of a room have on how quickly a candle will burn?
Project Due Date: January 7, 2011

Post by mkhammer »

This Website is a big help, Thanks!!! :D
gb1234
Project Question: What effect do different levels of soil pH have on the growth of basil?
Project Due Date: February 14, 2010

Post by gb1234 »

how do you interview someone?
laracroft
Project Question: what effect do different solids have on the time it takes to melt ice
Project Due Date: February 2011

Post by laracroft »

Thanks ya! Luv the website.
patrishapink
Project Question: Please suggest an investigatory project. Products that can be used as alternatives will do. But you can suggest anything.
Project Due Date: June 10 2011
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by patrishapink »

Thanks for the info. That was really helpful. Actually, this site is very helpful. :)
Starting to work for my Science Investigatory Project

Return to “Announcements”