Obstacle-Avoiding Robot

Ask specific questions about careers in science. Questions may be related to information in the Science Careers area of the Science Buddies website or may relate to specific projects or areas of research.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

TJcab

Obstacle-Avoiding Robot

Post by TJcab »

I have a few questions about robotics engineering, but I am not sure if they would be answered here.

How long do robotics engineers work on a daily basis?

When you are a robotics engineer, do you have to travel to many different places?

Are there any benefits for becoming a robotics engineer?

Are robotic engineers in demand?
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Obstacle-Avoiding Robot

Post by bfinio »

Hi TJcab, I have answered your questions below. I hope this helps. Also note that Science Buddies has a page about robotics engineers with more information:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... s-engineer

> How long do robotics engineers work on a daily basis?

Robotics engineering is typically a full time job (8 hours per day, 40 hours per week). Depending on the company, some people might work longer hours.

> When you are a robotics engineer, do you have to travel to many different places?

This depends on who you work for. Some robotics engineers might travel to different locations to meet with customers or go to conferences, but some might spend most of their time working in one office.

> Are there any benefits for becoming a robotics engineer?

Yes. Robotics engineering is typically a rather high-paying job, even compared to other STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields. And of course, if you like robots, then it will be fun.

> Are robotic engineers in demand?

Yes. There are government websites that list information about different careers. This one lists robotics engineering as "bright outlook" which means "expected to grow rapidly in the next several years, will have large numbers of job openings."

http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/17-2199.08
TJcab

Post by TJcab »

Thank you for your cooperation! But, I have one more request for you. I need to cite you as one of my sources so if possible, could you tell me your first name, last name, and occupation?
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

My name is Ben Finio and I am a robotics engineer. My job is a little unusual because I design robots for kids (I work for Science Buddies, so you may see my name as the author of many of the robotics projects). But if you just need a short answer you can write "robotics engineer".
TJcab

Post by TJcab »

Okay, thank you very much!
violajsilver

Post by violajsilver »

Robotic is a really interesting field. I really liked your post.

Return to “Careers in Science”