How to carry out my investigation

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

spark125
Project Question: Fluoride Poisoning
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: I am just starting

How to carry out my investigation

Post by spark125 »

Hello!

For my science fair, I would like to carry out an investigation to do with fluoride poisoning (in tooth paste for example etc.).
I want to prove through my experiment that fluorine consumption is poisonous and unhealthy. However, I really don't know
how I should do my investigation and create a method.

Please help me!!

Thank you~!
MelissaB

Re: How to carry out my investigation

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

Obviously you are not going to be able to give humans different amounts of fluoride and measure their health, but you might be able to compare health in countries with different fluoride standards. For example, here in Sweden they have mouthwash with fluoride in it and they also put fluoride on your teeth every time you go to the dentist--in the US they don't do that if you are an adult. You would have to research fluoride regulations in the different countries, and you would also need to control for other factors that might affect health.

Alternatively, you could do a bioassay with something like Daphnia. There's a Science Buddies project here you might be able to adapt: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p043.shtml. Keep in mind that many 'safe' chemicals and foods are toxic if consumed in large enough quantities, so you will need to do some thinking about the dosage you will administer if you decide to go this route.

Good luck!
aelin
Former Expert
Project Question: Role of viral proteins in the HSV1 life cycle, specifically during entry and egress.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How to carry out my investigation

Post by aelin »

Hi,

Another idea is to adopt a more reductionist view and consider fluoride effects at the tissue/cellular level. If you have access to a research facility that is able to do tissue culture, you could administer doses of fluoride to cheek, mouth, and other types of cells to see how they react to increasing dosages of fluorine, and whether some cell types are more affected than others.

Hope this helps!
Aaron Lin
Hope this helps!
Aaron Lin

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”