Question about Capable Carbon Filters activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

STEM_WS

Question about Capable Carbon Filters activity

Post by STEM_WS »

Hello,

For this activity, can activated carbon be substituted with activated charcoal instead?

I'm seeing mixed answers online about using the two materials interchangeably.

Thank you,
Wendy

-------------------------------------
Leave this to help the Experts:
The activity can be viewed at: Capable Carbon Filters
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about Capable Carbon Filters activity

Post by SciB »

Hi Wendy,

In the lab when we used activated carbon, it was always called activated charcoal, so I believe that the two are the same in most cases. The key word is 'activated' which means that the charcoal has been processed in a way that increases its porosity, This results in a huge increase in the internal surface area which means that the carbon can bind to more of various substances like the dyes in the drinks.

It would be interesting if you could compare a product labeled 'activated carbon' with one sold as 'activated charcoal'. As a control, you could use a charcoal briquet, which presumably has not been activated. Just use a plain type, not one that has hickory chips added. Carefully break it up and grind enough to powder to use in the test. Use the same volume (or same weight--not sure about which) of each.

After passing a measured volume of liquid through each filter, take a picture of the filtered liquid for comparison.

I just now invented this experiment, so have not tried it. Please let me know if you have questions. Also, after you run the test, let me know what happens.

Have fun!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”