Animal Magnetism

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

ALANG

Animal Magnetism

Post by ALANG »

Hello,

I'm currently doing this experiment, titled : Animal Magnetism: Do Large Mammals Align Themselves with Earth's Magnetic Field?, from https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary.

I'm on the procedure, and I'm through to the section "Evaluating Body Direction". When it states to "Number each axis that you use on the PowerPoint image", does it mean number each cow?

I also have a question about the Magnetic North, Can you move it accordingly right to left, or does the position of the Magnetic North stay where it is. I'm asking this, because some cows are scattered across the pasture.

For example on this picture. http://prntscr.com/9rbd07 As you can see the picture on the left, I moved the magnetic north left, and drew the magnetic north as the blue line. But on the picture on the left, it shows the correct, magnetic north on a specific point. Do I also need to place my magnetic north on the powerpoint on the same place? Or is that specific point just representing the coordinates of the longitude and latitude I put?

Thanks
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Re: Animal Magnetism

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

Welcome to Science Buddies! This is a great project and your questions are good ones. Here are some answers.

1. This question refers to number 2 under evaluating body direction. In the first step (number 1) you have drawn a straight line through the long axis of each cow's body. Under number 2, you are supposed to number each axis, so yes, you will be numbering each cow.

2. Magnetic north is always the same direction; it does not change. Only the cows can change direction. You should label magnetic north on each PowerPoint slide.

3. On the image that you provided the link for, it looks like your blue line is parallel to magnetic north, so you can use the blue line to evaluate the direction the cows are aligned to. Magnetic north is a direction, depending on the longitude and latitude, not a specific point on your images. It will be much easier to measure the angle of the cow compared to magnetic north using the blue line.

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions.

Donna Hardy
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

Thanks, Happy to be part of this wonderful organization.

I appreciate your answers for my previous questions! :D

I have a question now on actually finding the angular values. After numbering each cow, I'm under the assumption that I use a protractor to find the angle. I align the protractor along the magnetic north, following I find the different between the magnetic north and the cow? I'll draw an example, so you see where I'm going with this. http://prntscr.com/9riobu. Let's say the the slanted green line is a cow. And the black dot here: http://prntscr.com/9rip16, represents the slanted green line. So to determine the angle of the cow's body relative to magnetic north/angular value, how would I do that???

Also, what does step 4 actually mean??
4. Use -90 degrees for west, 0 degrees for north, and +90 degrees for east.
---A value of +7, for example, would represent an axis slightly to the right of magnetic north.

Also, does this look good so far for one of my pastures? http://prntscr.com/9rix1l

Also, what's a good title I could make for this project? Does " The effect of the magnetic north on large animals" sound good?

I was also thinking of adding in one more part to my experiment, and testing if large animals close to powerlines may effect the alignment.

I'll appreciate your help!!
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi,

You are definitely on the right track here.

Looking at your first image, it looks like the first cow is at about a + 35 to 40 degree angle east of the magnetic north line. You should be able to put the zero degree mark of the protractor on the magnetic north line; the slanted green cow line will mark the angle.

On the second image, zero degrees on the protractor is the magnetic north, the black dot with the cow is at +seven degrees east of magnetic north.

The image of your pasture is excellent; you have a good resolution of the cows here. All you need to add is your magnetic north line and this will be zero degrees on your protractor and then you'll be able to measure the angles of the cows relative to magnetic north. If the cows are slanted to the right (East) , the angle will have a positive value; if they are slanted to the left (West) the angle will have a negative value.

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

Hello,

But this method of measuring doesn't take account of the direction the cow is facing. I'm having a lot of trouble understanding how to find the angular values. Because I can move the Magnetic north line, as you said it doesn't have a specific point. So I'm confused how there's negative and positive values. Because I might move it to one side, and it's a positive value, and move it to the other and its a negative value. Wait...There is no positive and negative values on a compass.

Also, Do you think that an on screen protractor would work best? Or should I print out all the pictures, and measure it with a physical protractor? Which one is better and more accurate?

Does this http://prntscr.com/9rt6zg. Look right? So what would I post on my data? It's 52 degree's for Animal 1. Did I do it correct?

-Alang
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

The project directions recommends disregarding the direction the cow is facing, since this is difficult to confirm from a Google Earth image, so you will only have values between -90 and +90 degrees. When you are moving the protractor with the 0 degree mark facing magnetic North, you need to move it until the line goes through the axis of the cow.

You should get the same result with a screen protractor as you do when printing out the image and measuring by hand. You should pick the method that is easiest for you; just make sure the angle line coincides with the axis line you have drawn through the cow.

The example you have shown (number 1) is very close, but it looks like the cow axis is just slightly off from the line coming from the base of the protractor. In this example, if you move the protractor just a little to the left, the red line should go through the cow and the angle will be about -30 degrees rather than -28. Your magnetic North looks perfect.

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

Hello,

So basically the closer to zero, the closer the alignment is. It doesn't matter if it's negative or positive. Wow thanks! I get it now. So would I put -30 west?

I'm also making this project interesting by studying if the power lines affect the alignment.

I always get scared of this question from the judges: how will this discovery impact science positively? How should I answer that?

Also, what category do you think this experiment should go under, animal sciences, or behavioral and social sciences? Or either one? Also is the title "the effect of the magnetic north on the alignment of large animals" good? Is there a way I can add the power lines to the title too?

Please correct me if any of the following is wrong.
Independent Variable (What I change): Pastures? (I'm second guessing this, because I don't physically change the pasture)
Dependent Variable: Alignment of cows with magnetic north.
Control: The position of the Large Animals.

Thanks,
Alang
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

Great! I think you understand what to do. Yes, for the last example, you would put 30 west,

I like the variation you are doing with the power lines; this will add interest to the project, but will be more work.

Your independent variable is the individual cows; the dependent variable is the angle of alignment relative to magnetic north. You don't really have a control, but you are observing results from several pastures, so your results should be significant. If there is no effect of magnetic north on cow alignment, what would you expect the average angle to be? If the cows do have a magnetic sense, what would the difference in the angle be?

The question about the power lines is really a separate topic. For this question, the control is the alignment of cows in pastures without power lines; the independent variable is the presence of power lines, or possibly the distance of the power lines from the cows, and the dependent variable again is the angle of alignment relative to magnetic north. You are looking for a difference in the angle of alignment of herds of cows with no power lines, and the alignment with power lines. This is going to be a more challenging question.

Your project would quality for a number of categories. I think it fits best under animal science, but it would not be out of place in behavior, or possibly even in computer science, if that choice is available to you. . One strategy is to enter in the project category with fewer project entries because, unfortunately, in science fairs, there is only one first place per category. So talk to your teacher, or find last year's program and decide what your best option is.

I will think about your other two questions (title and scientific significance) and post another reply tomorrow.

Donna .
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

Hello Mrs. Donna,

I appreciate your response.

So does it make a difference if it's -30 west, or 30 west??

This is one of my pastures with powerlines :D :http://prntscr.com/9rxp8c. My plan is to pick 3 pastures without powerlines, and 3 with proximity to powerlines. Is that enough, or should I find more pastures? And after, comparing the results. And again, explaining how the results at the end could further scientific research is still iffy.

I like where this is heading.

How does this sound: Hypothesis: If large animals are situated near high voltage power lines, then the angular value alignment with the magnetic north gets larger.

These were the top projects from HS Animal Sciences last year.
3.Mosquito Magnitism
2.Betta aggression
1.Can Crushed Peas Cure Swim Bladders Disease?

Have a good night,
-Alang
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

You are welcome!

The directions specifically state to measure angles from minus 45 degrees to plus 45 degrees. I think this will make a difference when you analyze results.

A science project is just one experiment, so you have to put it into perspective and explain to the judges why the topic is important. Where does your project fit into the big picture?

Your project is a basic research project on animal magnetism, so you need to explain the significance of this phenomenon. You can explain that if a wild animal knows where it is and where it is going, its ability to survive will be improved. The ability of bees to forage food and the ability of dogs to find their way home are classic examples of t Understanding the mechanism of navigation could also help humans by providing the knowledge to develop new navigation tools. Humans have compasses and GPS, but perhaps there is something better in the future that your research will lead to. I recommend doing more background reading so you can elaborate on this theme.

The project guide suggests analyzing 10 pastures for the basic study and cautions that they should not be close to large water bodies or power lines, on mountains slopes, or immediately close to human settlements. Since you are deliberately choosing some pastures near power lines, you will need to analyze pastures on two different settings. Go ahead and do three of each type of pasture, and compare your results. You may need to do more.

Your hypothesis sounds a little complicated. Can you simplify it?. How about, If high power voltage lines are located near herds of cows, the cows' ability to sense magnetic North will be adversely affected. Why don't you try again also? You want the hypothesis to be very clear and simple.

It sounds like your science fair is very competitive.

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

Hello Mrs. Donna:

I hope you had a great day! I know my day has been extremely busy :( .
donnahardy2 wrote: The directions specifically state to measure angles from minus 45 degrees to plus 45 degrees. I think this will make a difference when you analyze results.
I don't quite understand what you mean here, because step 4 of "Evaluating Body Directions" states this Use -90 degrees for west, 0 degrees for north, and +90 degrees for east. Also I'm unable to go from -45 to +45 because I have angles greater than 45.

I will research more upon that topic of possibly having a new navigation tool developed through this research.

I have until 1/29/16 to finish this project, but the fair is not until late February. Is the time sufficient enough?

These are the winners of the other categories that I may be able to opt into.

Mathematical Sciences
1.A Novel Statistical Approach for Computational Drug Design to Target Intrinsically Disordered Proteins
2.Boolean AlGenebra A Framework for the Analysis of Gene Mutations
3.Olympic Aim

Computer Science
1.Using a Spell Corrector and Pattern Search Engine to Make Passwords Less Prone to Dictionary Attacks.
2. Which Sensor Performs with the Greatest Efficacy ev3 Ultrasonic or ev3 Infrared Which Sensor Will Be
3.Making Sense of Social Networking Data During Disaster Through Bayesian Natural Language Processing

Behavior and Social Sciences
1.Teens and Morally Interpretive Situations in a Group Setting
2. Music and Education A study of the effects of music on student accuracy and productivity.
3.A subject matters effect on ones handwriting.

Where do you think think I'll have the best chance of possibly winning?

-Alang
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

I apologize. I made a mistake. The values should be between + and - 90 degrees, (not 45 degrees) according to the project instructions.

I think you have plenty of time to finish the project and then to put together the display board before the fair. It is always possible to make changes between the time of turning in the assignment and entering a project in the fair if something comes up.

Thanks for posting the winners of the other categories. Looking at the other categories, I think your project fits best into animal science and has the best chance of winning in that category. Of course, you won't know for sure until the fair and see what other projects will be competing against yours.

You should focus on getting enough data to prove or disprove your hypothesis.

Donna
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

Here is a 2011 news article from Nature related to your project describing the controversy on this subject. Your project will hopefully help resolve the controversy about whether or not cows do have magnetic reception, and the question about the possible interference from power lines. Be sure and note what the second set of authors said about the data analysis by the first group who published in 2008 (not kind). The comments below the news article are interesting also. Perhaps the cows are just trying to keep warm with their alignment and do not have an innate ability to sense magnetic north.

http://www.nature.com/news/the-mystery- ... ows-1.9350

You should be sure and describe the controversy in your background information. Your science project, of course, will provide a definitive resolution to the controversy or at least provide some data for additional discussion.

I recommend checking out the original references listed below the article.

Please note the use of two new words that I have not used before. The ability to sense a magnetic field is called magnetoreception and animals that have the ability are called magnetosensing. These new words should be very useful in writing up your project.

Since this is a science project, you will need to determine the statistical significance of your data. In biological systems, results are considered significant if there is a less than 5% chance that the difference in results could be due to chance. I recommend doing a search for "statistical significance" and "calculating p-values" (p is probability) to look for background information. . You will have two sets of data (no power lines/with power lines) and you will need to know how to determine the p values. Let me know if you have more questions.

Donna
ALANG

Post by ALANG »

Hello Mrs.Donna:

Thanks for the abundance of information! I'll read through more and digest this more in my mind, and I'll let you know if I have any questions!!! :D !!

Also, as of right now, I have decided to do 5 pastures with and 5 pastures without.

Is this too long for a title???: The Effect of high voltage power lines on the alignment of grazing animals with the magnetic north.
-Alang
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Alang,

I think that 5 pastures each is a good idea. Do try to get this done as soon as possible so there will be time to do additional pastures if the data is inconclusive.

Also, please do be careful about collecting your data. You want to avoid the criticism that the original authors encountered because others thought they had measured haystacks and other objects as well as calves and cows that were walking. Make sure every axis is drawn on a grazing cow. It might be a good idea to have someone check your results to verify your results. Save images of the pastures to show the judges, if necessary.

Your title is appropriate for your project, however it's a little long. How about, "Do high voltage power lines affect the magnetoreception of cows?" You want to pick herds of one type of animal as this is one of your controlled parameters.

Good luck on your data collection.

Donna

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”