create a spark?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
geniuss

create a spark?

Post by geniuss »

where does the three capacitors go i n this project? Can someone help me? PLEASE!
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

What grade are you in?
Who is supervising your work?

Are you referring to https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... ?from=Home
where does the three capacitors go i n this project?
Do you know how to read a pictoral schematic diagram (see figure 1)? It only shows one capacitor! If you read the section on variations, it should answer the question "Why are there 3 capacitors in the parts list and only one in the schematic?"

This is a difficult and potentially dangerous project. If you are going to do it, you need some adult supervision from somebody who can help you with the safety aspects.

If you are going to do this project, start without the secondary winding! Just getting the Neef vibrator to work inside the PVC pipe coil form has been a challenge for some investigators. Thinner grade PVC pipe will provide more clearance. Do not use hardened, stainless steel, or brass bolts. You need the magnetic properties of a soft or mild steel.

I personally do NOT APPROVE of the recommended placement of the five secondary current limiting resistors. Putting them together in one location is potentially DANGEROUS as a spark could bypass them and defeat their current limiting properties. My recommendation is to divide the secondary winding into roughly 6 equal lengths with a resistor between each of the sections. If you do this, care must be taken so that they aren't physically close and provide a place for a spark to jump, so don't cut the secondary wire until you choose a good place for a resistor away from previous ones. It is more important to be physically separated than for them to be at precise intervals.
-Craig

Return to “Physical Science”