HELP PLEASE

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
gizzle

HELP PLEASE

Post by gizzle »

my group and i need to build a mechanical machine to lift a flag i think 20ft. high. This is based on Rube Goldberg's machine test. I have no idea how to come up with such machine!!!!!!!!!!
<gizzle>
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Post by zzzzdoc »

Sounds like a fun project. Basically, Rube Goldberg devices are complex devices that perform simple tasks in indirect and convoluted ways. In other words, finding ways to take 50 steps to do something that is easily done in 2 steps.

Separate the task into the minimum number of steps you can determine are necessary to accomplish the task. Then take each on of those steps, and think of 10 absurd steps to get there. The more comical the steps are, the better.

Think of the board game "Mousetrap". That's basically what we're talking about.

Wish I had projects like this when I was a kid. They have one in colleges, and engineering students build unbelievable devices. In fact, this one below has a flag that raises in it. Not sure if that's it's purpose, though.

This is a wikipedia link on "Rube Goldberg Machines":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

This is the website for the National Rube Goldberg Machine Contest at Perdue University (which turns out great engineers, BTW.:
http://www.rubemachine.com/

Good luck with your project. Feel free to ask any questions along the way. The engineers and scientists here will probably get a kick out of helping with this one. And definitely post a picture of the finished project.
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Post by zzzzdoc »

I just read your project description below your name, and that refers to taking 20 minutes to raise the flag, not raise it 20 feet. Make sure you are planning to accomplish the correct task.
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
r4gg3d

just a thought

Post by r4gg3d »

use a system of marbles and magnets to move a switch to blow the flag :roll: :roll: :roll: :P :P 8) 8) 8) :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: your welcome

Return to “Physical Science”