Vitamin C

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
mathisfun

Vitamin C

Post by mathisfun »

I am doing a project and my experiment went well, but I do not understand how to determine how many mg of vitamin C I had in each juice. I am trying to determine the amount of Vitamin C in different types of orange juice. I made my starch solution and tested my control of Vitamin C and then 4 different types of orange juice. I counted the number of drops it took for the color to change, but I do not understand how to take my experiment and determine the mg of Vitamin c from my results. Do you have a formula I can use?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

Jon
I have tested for vitamin C with iodine but do not know how to figure out how many mg of Vitamin C with the number of drops - do you have a formula?
Louise
Former Expert

Re: Vitamin C

Post by Louise »

mathisfun wrote:I am doing a project and my experiment went well, but I do not understand how to determine how many mg of vitamin C I had in each juice. I am trying to determine the amount of Vitamin C in different types of orange juice. I made my starch solution and tested my control of Vitamin C and then 4 different types of orange juice. I counted the number of drops it took for the color to change, but I do not understand how to take my experiment and determine the mg of Vitamin c from my results. Do you have a formula I can use?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

Jon
Did you do this:
For your experiment, you might want to plot concentrations of vitamin C from samples containing a known concentration (y axis) vs. ml of iodine (x-axis). You can then use the standard curve to quickly determine the concentration of vitamin C in your sample, provided the sample falls within the range of your standard curve.
This is from the other thread on vitamin C in this forum.

So, once you have the "standard curve" you can easy figure out how much vit c is in your unknowns, just by looking at the graph.

If you didn't makea standard curve, please post back with what you did.

Louise

Return to “Physical Science”