The typical question-what type of chocolate melts fastest?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

The typical question-what type of chocolate melts fastest?

Postby Violetta » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:35 pm

My problem question is: What type of chocolate-bittersweet,unsweetened,dark,or milk melts the fastest?

Please answer my following questions!

1.What are the differences in ingredients for bittersweet, unsweetened, dark and milk chocolate?

2.What are the general melting points for bittersweet, unsweetened, dark and milk chocolate?

3.What type of ingredients in chocolate slows down or quicken up the process of melting chocolate?

4.How does a factory make chocolate? How is it different compare to the methods used at home?

Those are not my key questions, they are the questions I need to ask a person I need to interview which I have no clue who! So...

1. Who should I interview for my project? (interview is required) And if you reply to this post, please tell me if I can use your answers as my interview! And please tell me your name and your occupation(what makes you the expert at my field)

Thanks a lot!
Violetta

Postby Taed » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:01 am

Since you're looking for someone to interview, then you could go right to the source... a chocolate maker!

Most chocolates (such as Hershey's) will list a phone number for questions on the wrapper. Call them up, and you're probably set! The person on the phone might be able to answer your questions, or might be able to put you in touch with someone who could.

If you'd like to interview someone in person, there is surely someone local to you who makes chocolate. Use the Yellow Pages of the phone book, Google Local, or something like that to find those people.
Taed
Former Expert

Postby ArvinChang » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:51 am

Scharffen-Berger is a small factory in Berkeley, CA that makes top-end chocolate. Their website includes a virtual tour of their chocolate making process (they make chocolate the traditional way, while larger companies use more chemicals) and has a large FAQ (frequently asked questions) section that will answer your question. They actually have daily tour of their factory that go over the chocolate making process and answer nearly all of your questions. I'm sure if you were to call them at (510) 981-4050 they could setup you up with one of their chocolate experts to answer your questions (while I think I know most of the answers to your questions, it has come from going to the factory tour).

Hope this helps
ArvinChang
Former Expert

Postby Violetta » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:08 pm

Thanks! Can you also tell me which types of chocolate I should test? Because the unsweetened and bittersweet are both dark chocolate, and I'm already doing a dark chocolate...Help?
Violetta

Postby Taed » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:22 pm

While we could tell you all the answers by doing the research for you ourselves, the purpose of your project is to not only learn the answers, but more importantly to teach yourself how to find the answers.

You now have some good leads for the next step, so as Ms. Frizzle says, "Go ahead: take chances, make mistakes, get messy!". And with a chocolate project, hopefully even your mistakes will be both edible and yummy!

I just did a little chocolate project with my 4-year-old son the other day. We put some chocolate in the oven in a little mold and watched it melt, and then put it in the freezer, and finally ate it! A simple experiment for a little guy. (He never tires of baking soda and vinegar...)
Taed
Former Expert

Postby Dr. Bruce Weaver » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:03 am

Hi,

Folks are right. these are the very questions to which you're supposed to find the answers. It may seem like a subtle point but we're supposed to be helping you with hints and techniques, not the detailed answers to the questions your project addresses.

But, as a hint, much of what you're asking has to do with the proportions of sugar and milk to the chocolate int he confection.

One of the features that makes chocolate nice is the way it feels in your mouth as it melts. How do you keep it in hot climates where the temperature is llike the inside of your mouth?
Wm. Bruce Weaver, Ph.D.
Monterey Institute for Research in Astronomy
Dr. Bruce Weaver
Former Expert

Return to Physical Science