How Music affect Heart Rate(Rogate Project)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

How Music affect Heart Rate(Rogate Project)

Postby Tech2105 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:04 am

My Partner and I are working on a project for Rogate(Recources Offered Gifted And Talented Education). We are doing the project on how music affects the human heart rate. So far we have conducted an experiment on ourselves and are going to conduct it on others. Please if there are any ideas or thoughts that we may overlook help us the report is due May 22, 2006. Thank you for your time.
Tech2105

Re: How Music affects Heart Rate(Rogate Project)

Postby davidkallman » Thu May 04, 2006 9:54 am

Hi Tech2105!

If you plug "How Music affects Heart Rate" into answers.com you get back multiple hits, including a complete science project. It may give you ideas for your project.
Cheers!

Dave
davidkallman
Former Expert

Re: How Music affect Heart Rate(Rogate Project)

Postby thisdankid » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:56 pm

Tech2105 wrote:My Partner and I are working on a project for Rogate(Recources Offered Gifted And Talented Education). We are doing the project on how music affects the human heart rate. So far we have conducted an experiment on ourselves and are going to conduct it on others. Please if there are any ideas or thoughts that we may overlook help us the report is due May 22, 2006. Thank you for your time.

Well, one thing you might want to consider is how you are separating your genre's of music and how you are going to analyze the heart responses. Just a couple of things to think about.
-Dan Li

Willing to help...but not sure how MUCH of a help i am. =]
thisdankid
Former Expert

Postby ghariman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:45 am

Hi there,

One thing that came up in mind is that when doing this test over different types of music, you need to ensure that the test conditions remain the same.

For example the volume should always be the same. Because louder music will have an effect on heart rate regardless of what type it is.
And then how about the ambient conditions where the music is being heard at ? Time of day ? Those conditions may also effect the heart rate.
Also make sure that no type of caffinated drink is consumed in between experiments as caffeine increases heart rate.

After the experiment is conducted you may want to analyze in depth on which components of music makes heart rate increase. As music is composed of sound and noise composed with certain tempo and beats in harmony.
That is instead of simply stating that (only example that I thought off) "Rap music induces higher heart than normal and Lullaby music reduces heart rate", you should look into why rap music makes the heart beats faster. Would it be perhaps the tempo (speed) of the music that Rap is normally sung at ? Or is it the amount of bass in it ? How about Lullaby music ? Why does it feel so relaxing ? What instruments are normally used in Lullaby music. How about those so called "Electronic Music" that seems abstract to me.

You can also analyze the Frequency content of music with some of the software that you play music with on the computer. I think for example in Microsft Media Player on Windows if you choose the Vizualization->Bars and Waves -> Bars then with music it shows the frequency content of the music being played (although not very detailed).
With the same software you can also control with the "Equalizer" tool to filter out certain Frequency bands. By doing this you can further your investigation to see the effects of types of noise/sound in music that affects the heart rate.

One thing that is interesting to find out is:
Why do most teenagers and young adults prefer fast tempo music while older people prefer slow relaxing music ? Can you get some ideas of this from your experiment ? Is there any way you can make a 65 year old couple go into a disco-tech music ball and dance through the night ?

Good luck with your experiment !
"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration".
- Thomas A Edison

George H
Volunteer Mentor for the Ask an Expert Forum located in California
ghariman
Former Expert

Postby zzzzdoc » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:39 am

Also, make sure that any of the adults who you are using for the experiment are not taking medications that control their heart rates (beta blockers, or calcium channel blockers). These drugs prevent / blunt heart rate increases, and using these subjects could severely compromise your data. They are unusual in children, but very commonly given to adults.
Alan Lichtenstein, MD
Anesthesiologist

Mens et manus
Veritas

He who laughs last...Thinks slowest.
zzzzdoc
Former Expert

Return to Physical Science