Growing a plant inside a dark box

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Growing a plant inside a dark box

Postby Aman_gill » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 pm

I have read this when I was in school, now I want experiment. Here is the project: the box is closed dark inside. There is o small hole on the side, this is only way to get sun light in. The plant is inside. As I read, the plant will grow towards the hole, so it will bend towards it. Try to grow out of the box through that hole. Is it doable? What kind of conditions are associated? Box size matter? Plant type matters? Where you place the plant, I think it got to be away from the hole to prove it bending? Please help me on this. Thank you!
Aman_gill

Project Question: Growing plant in complete dark box having a small whole for sunlight
Project Due Date: N/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Growing a plant inside a dark box

Postby jmehta14 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:28 pm

Dear Aman,This is a good science project. You will be testing phototrophism and this is a very much duable experiment. Box size should be big enough to accomodate plant growth and should be watered regularly. Other conditions should be kept in mind is not to put the plant in a very cold area. I f you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Good luck,
Jay.
jmehta14
Expert

Project Question: Do probiotics with antibiotics have a greater affect on different types of bacteria?
Project Due Date: March 1st
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Growing a plant inside a dark box

Postby c14er » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Aman,
You have a great idea! In addition to Jay's advice, I would also add that science buddies has an experiment extremely similar to yours called, "Plants on the Move! Experiments with Phototropism." Here is the link: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/PlantBio_p041.shtml#materials.

This page should answer some of your specific questions about the type of seeds and other materials you will need. There are also more ways for you to make this project "your own" if you want. Have you thought about the fact that the holes to let in light also let in air. Could air exposure also be affecting plant growth? You may want to isolate this variable by covering the hole in the box with a transparent material that allows light to go through, but not air.
Hope this helps and post with any other questions!
Emma
c14er

Project Question: expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences