Crickets

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Crickets

Postby nkorzetz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:47 pm

My son is doing his science project on predicting the temperature using cricket chirps. We have been through LOTS of crickets and they don't always chirp! Is there a secret? Do you need to have males AND females in the same cage? Does only the most dominant cricket chirp? We buy them for our bearded lizard and get them from the pet store. Should we get a particular size? I understand they chirp to attract a mate, but is there a way to get them to chirp more often? Some groups will chirp all night and other batches don't chirp at all! Help! We have 2 more weeks and the temperature has finally dropped here in Houston but probably only for the next week, then it will be back in the 80s again. We need cool weather chirps :)
nkorzetz

Project Question: Counting cricket chirps to estimate temperature
Project Due Date: Dec 1, 2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Crickets

Postby drowningfish » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:49 pm

This seems like such an interesting project! I looked up cricket chirps and temperature and found this:
The frequency of chirping varies according to temperature. To get a rough estimate of the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, count the number of chirps in 15 seconds and then add 37. The number you get will be an approximation of the outside temperature.

From what I understand, I would say that it's okay if some crickets don't chirp as long as you have a lot of other ones that do.

How are you counting the number of chirps? (Each cricket by itself or by batch?)

I would suggest counting the number of chirps in a specific time period (15 seconds) for a cricket and do that with as many crickets as you can, all during a constant temperature. Are the number of chirps in the time period roughly equal and do they predict the real temperature? When the temperature changes, count cricket chirps again for as many crickets as you can (the ones that chirp) and see if the number of chirps is different and if it predicts the new temperature.

I hope I am understanding your question correctly. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
drowningfish
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences