Need help with science project- starting tomorrow!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Need help with science project- starting tomorrow!!!

Postby kristinblack » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 pm

I posted previously but haven't had any replies yet to my question.

In doing the project "No Pain, Lots of Game" which measures the ability of playing video games to distract the player from pain, do the video games played by the volunteers need to be the same? For example, can one volunteer play Mario Kart while another plays Halo 4, or is that too much of a variable? We know that it is a variable, but we also know that it's important for the volunteer to be engaged in the game. One game may be more engaging to some and not as much to another.

Thank you
kristinblack

Project Question: How video gaming affects feeling pain
Project Due Date: 1/19/2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Need help with science project- starting tomorrow!!!

Postby microkts » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:53 am

Hi,

This sounds like a great project. You are correct that you need to keep your controlled variables the same. I think you should have all the test subjects play the same game. If you are worried about variability between different people try repeating the experiment on as many different people as possible.

If you have any more questions just post them to this same post.

Kierstyn
microkts
Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences