How to present a project if part of it failed

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

How to present a project if part of it failed

Postby Hydroponics_Project » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:32 am

My 10 year old did the Hydroponics vs. Soil project and the hydroponics part worked good but the soil plants never sprouted. This is due in 2 days and I'm wondering how to present it if we don't have any soil data to submit.

Thanks! Teresa
Hydroponics_Project

Project Question: My daughter (5th grade) is working on the Hydroponics vs Soil growing and it's due this Tuesday, Jan 21. Her hydroponics dome is great but her soil seeds never sprouted. Is there any other way she can put this project together if she has no soil data?
Project Due Date: January 21
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: How to present a project if part of it failed

Postby connief » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Teresa,

I'm really sorry to hear that the soil part of the project didn't work out, but experiments not working is a very normal part of science. Your 10 year old can still present his/her results regardless because your hydroponics section did work and I'm sure that you got some really cool results! I would include all the data that you have gathered from the hydroponics section, and in the portion about the soil plants, note that those plants did not sprout at all. Even though you haven't been able to compare plant growth between the two groups, you can still talk about what you have observed of the plants grown in hydroponics. An important thing to do is to document why you think your soil plants didn't sprout. Is it because the soil plants actually take a lot longer to grow than the hydroponic plants, and that's why you haven't seen anything sprouting yet? Was it due to some error in planting the seeds in the soil? In the watering? In the amount of sunlight given? You can consider all of these parameters (and I'm sure there are more) and figure out where potential problems have occurred. Figuring out these aspects is a crucial part of doing science because it will give you some hints as to which part of the procedures can be done better next time if you were to repeat the experiment again! Talking about these problems will show the people looking at your project that you have thought extensively about your experiments and your data, which is extremely important.

I hope that helped. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Best,
Connie
connief
Expert

Project Question: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Due Date: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How to present a project if part of it failed

Postby heatherL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi Teresa,

Is this the project you tried? http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p045.shtml

If so, I suggest looking for growth in the soil. Seeds have to germinate underground before they sprout above the soil. There may be some leaves to measure, but they could be still underneath the surface.

I hope that helps. Please post again (in this same thread) if you have more questions.

Heather
heatherL

Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences