Testing nitrate amounts in fertiziled soils

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Testing nitrate amounts in fertiziled soils

Postby janetbray1104 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:55 am

We are doing a science experiment testing the amount of nitrates in run-off water using different types of fertilizer. The experiment says to use topsoil in 4 different pots mixed with manure, liquid inorganic fertiziler, compost, and granule fertilizer. Then we are to water daily and use a nitrate testing kit to measure the nitrates in each pot.
The experiment does not tell us how much manure, compost, liquid fertiziler, or granule fertilizer to add to the top soil. It does not also tell us how much water to add each day.

Can anyone help?
janetbray1104

Project Question: testing the amount of nitrates in soil mixed with cow manure, compost, liquid inorganic fertilizer and granule inorganic fertizilier
Project Due Date: 2/20/2014
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Testing nitrate amounts in fertiziled soils

Postby khufker » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Are there specific instructions you are following? I couldn't find any on this site, but I may have missed them.
Anyway, I don't think the amount matters as much as using the same amount for each of the conditions. For example, if you add a cup of manure to 4 cups of topsoil for one condition, you will want to add a cup of liquid inorganic fertilizer to 4 cups of topsoil for another condition. Also, for a control, you might want to add a cup of top soil to 4 cups of topsoil. The same goes for the water. The specific amount doesn't matter as much as adding the same amount to each condition each day.
Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
Katie
khufker
Expert

Project Question: Inclusion Programs
Project Due Date: 2/1/13
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences