Do it yourself DNA

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Do it yourself DNA

Postby susteacher » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:34 pm

My daughter and I really enjoyed doing this project with the strawberries. She's making it her own, by trying out different fruits. We selected them by researching which foods are octoploids or have multiple copies of genes. Now to my question, the DNA absolutely precipitated and we could see it, but we could not get the DNA to stick to anything outside of the test tube. I could get a picture as it fell off of part of a clothespin (the only wood item we had in the house.) We were using metal skewers, since that was all I could find. As we are redoing it today, she is thinking she used too much salt in her extraction solution yesterday--1 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp. Any chance this could have been the problem? Also, we're trying bananas. The mixture is so think, even after mashing that's it's not coming through the cheesecloth very well. Could we add more water? Could we run it through a blender? What might help?
susteacher

Project Question: Do it yourself DNA
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Do it yourself DNA

Postby cbrambley » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:35 am

Hey there,

I would suggest to use a thinner wooden object, ideally something like a toothpick or chopstick. Try to gently rotate the toothpick so that the dna spools around it. I'm not really sure if adding too much salt affects this, but it couldn't hurt to play with the proportions a little and see what happens. As for your banana problem, you could either try using more of the extraction liquid, or less banana. Of course make sure you're mashing it up well enough. Oh and also I used to use coffee filters instead of cheesecloth. I'm not sure if that'll help you much, but it's something to try if you have coffee filters on hand.

Hope that helps!
cbrambley
Expert

Project Question: Expert forum volunteer
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Do it yourself DNA

Postby susteacher » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks for the ideas! We gave up on the different fruits and compared detergents instead. We had another detergent do better detergent wise, but never could get it removed. We took pictures to document instead.
susteacher

Project Question: Do it yourself DNA
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences