Carnations and Food Coloring

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Carnations and Food Coloring

Postby Kaylee112 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Hello, I am doing a science project on changing the color of a carnation with food coloring. I am having trouble with my hypothesis. I have already completed the experiment and colored three carnations with food coloring. One white carnation I used blue coloring, one white carnation was red and the third was half and half. What do you recommend for a hypothesis? Thank you.

I am in fifth grade.
Kaylee112

Project Question: Hello, we are doing a science fair project that uses food coloring to change the color of white carnations. I am struggling to come up with my hypothesis though. Would you have any recommendations? Thank you. I am in fifth grade.
Project Due Date: January 5, 2009
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Carnations and Food Coloring

Postby barretttomlinson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 am

Hi,

Half the fun of doing a science fair project is really doing it yourself, so I don’t want to ruin things for you by telling you a “right’ answer. Instead, I suggest you look at the Science Buddies Project Guide on forming and testing hypotheses:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... esis.shtml

It may also help to read the whole Science Buddies Project Guide:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml

It may help to start by thinking about and writing down your project question. This needs to be written down as a question. Something like “Will carnations absorb or take up dye from water they are stored in?” . I am sure you can state the question more clearly than I can. Once you have that question nailed down it should be easy to state your hypothesis (I.e. the guess you make on how your experiment will turn out) by filling in the blanks in the model hypothesis statement in the first link above.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes for a great experience at the science fair!

Barrett Tomlinson
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Postby memeluvshorses » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Your make yur hypohisis before you do your experiment. Your Hypothisis should be what you think will happen. So in your hypothisis you should tell what you think will happen to plant a, plant b, and plant c. I hope this helped. I'd love to here the result of this experement!!! 8)
~Maddy~ :)
memeluvshorses

Project Question: Does the temperature efect the Rate of Butterfly Development?
Project Due Date: Febuary
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Postby michellebayefsky » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:20 pm

Dear Kaylee112,

When you're thinking of an hypothesis, try to to stay true to your expectations before you conducted the experiment. Keep in mind that there is nothing the matter with having an hypothesis that doesn't match your results, as long as you had valid reasons for forming your hypothesis the way it was originally. Scientists often find unexpected results because they were unable to anticipate the effects of a certain factor on the experiment.

Good luck! If you'd like to check back with us about your hypothesis, don't hesitate.

Michelle
michellebayefsky
Former Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Postby keyguard123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 am

Hi to all.
I am new one for this site. I do not find any forum for new one. So I am writing here. Please inform me about the new entry forums. It will be great help of having chat and discussions with you guys. Hope the chats and the discussions will be interesting and full of knowledge.
acai berry
keyguard123

Project Question: General
Project Due Date: 12/12/2009
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Postby michellebayefsky » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:17 pm

Dear keyguard123,

Under "how to post a topic in a forum" the website says, "To post a new topic in a forum, click the relevant button on either the forum or topic screens. You may need to register before you can post a message. A list of your permissions in each forum is available at the bottom of the forum and topic screens. Example: You can post new topics, You can vote in polls, etc."

I hope this helps!
michellebayefsky
Former Expert

Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences