Egg floating in salt water - HELP

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Egg floating in salt water - HELP

Postby cprox8 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 am

i am trying to help my son (4th grade) with this. we have the experiment part done but need help determining how to do the equation. how do we figure out the ratio of water /salt for each cup? we have to make cards identifying each cup and take pictures to post to the board; but i dont know the formula. thanks for your help.
cprox8

Project Question: how do we figure out the relative salt concentration in the float an egg experiment. how do we find the percentage. thanks
Project Due Date: april 9, 2010
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Egg floating in salt water - HELP

Postby donnahardy2 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi,

This is a great project for a 4th grader!

I think this is the project you are doing:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... p003.shtml

If you followed the instructions, the first cup contains 292 grams of salt in .946 liters of water, or 308 grams/liter, or you could call it 100%, and the rest of the cups are a 1:2 dilution of the previous cup. So the second cup is one-half, or 154 grams per liter, or 50%. The third cup is 77 grams per liter or 25%. Fourth is 38.5 grams per liter or 12.5%. Fifth cup is 19.25 grams per liter or 6.25%.

Let me know if you did a different series of dilutions, or if there are other questions.

Donna hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Re: Egg floating in salt water - HELP

Postby cprox8 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:31 pm

thanks so much that is alot of help. it's exactly the explanation i was looking for. thanks again.
cprox8

Project Question: how do we figure out the relative salt concentration in the float an egg experiment. how do we find the percentage. thanks
Project Due Date: april 9, 2010
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences