Growing sugar crystals

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

Growing sugar crystals

Postby KathyLee » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:02 pm

My daughter is also doing this project for the Science fair. We started it three days ago with a saturated sugar solution..originally with two,but were only forming crusts at the top. So we actually left one jar and reboiled the other,adding more sugar, then started another in a different size jar following what I have read here hoping this one will be the one that grows.. So a total of three. In above post you had asked if the solution was clear. Could you elaborate on that please?

[Moderator note: This topic has been split into its own thread. It references an older thread here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4511]
KathyLee

Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: May 7,2012
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: Growing sugar crystals

Postby donnahardy2 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi KathyLee,

This is a really great project! I'm sure you and your child are going to learn a lot. I had asked if the solution is clear because crystals will form on any solid surface, so if there are residual sugar crystals or any other particulate material in the solution, then the crystals will form on other surfaces other than the string. You want to start with a perfectly clear saturated solution. If the crystals had formed on the surface of the solution, this confirms that you had a saturated solution, but perhaps there was too much air circulation, or the surface of the sugar solution was disturbed. Reboiling the solution was the right thing to do, and I hope the sugar crystals will form on the string this time. Crystals will form best if the containers are left undisturbed. Please let me know what happens.

While you are waiting for the crystals to grow, you should be preparing all of the section of the display board, since the project is due next Monday. Here is the information from the Science Buddies website on how to do the board:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... oard.shtml

Since you don't have the expected results yet, you need to be prepared to write up the results and explain why the crystals formed on the surface of the container rather than on the string. It's perfectly acceptable to have unexpected results in a science project as long as your child can explain the science behind the project, and explain what happened.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Donna Hardy
donnahardy2
Expert

Return to Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences