How much to water lettuce for the control?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: MelissaB, kgudger, Ray Trent, Moderators

How much to water lettuce for the control?

Postby candy4me » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Hello,

I am doing an experiment where I am growing lettuce plants with different amounts of water. How much water is generally needed for a black seeded simpson lettuce plant to maintain a steady growth (for the control)?
candy4me

Project Question: Building a regenerative proton exchange membrane fuel cell
Project Due Date: early 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Re: How much to water lettuce for the control?

Postby SciB » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi Candy,

The amount of water a plant needs depends on its size, the size of the pot it is in, the humidity and temperature of the place you have it and the type of soil you planted it in. I cannot tell you how much water to use on your plants and how often to water them unless you give me more information. The amount of water varies a lot with the conditions. Are you keeping them indoors in front of a sunny window or under grow lights? Plants need more water under hot, dry conditions than they would if it is cool and humid. Also, the condition of the soil makes a BIG difference in how often you must water. Here where I live, the soil is sandy and water drains through it quickly, so i have to water more often than someone who has soil high in organic matter.

I grow a lot of plants in pots and i water them when the surface of the soil looks dry, which can sometimes be every day because temperatures here are in the 90s F. Also, a big plant takes more water than a small one. I water until i see water coming out the bottom of the pot, so the amount depends on the size of your pots and i can't tell you how much.

If your dependent variable is going to be the amount of water you give the plants then all the independent variables--soil, pot size, light, temperature, humidity and frequency of watering are going to have to be held constant.

Post back to this forum with a more complete description of your set-up and we will be able to help you plan your experiment better.

Best wishes,

SciB
SciB
Expert

Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to participate in the Ask an Expert program.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How much to water lettuce for the control?

Postby candy4me » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Right now, the plants are growing in a Burpee grow kit (each plant has 3.8 x 3.8 x 6.4 cm [91.7 cubic centimeters] soil) but they will eventually be spaced about 10 cm apart. The plants themselves tiny saplings (about 3 cm tall). I am keeping them under a sunny window so it should be about room temperature.

To find out how well the soil absorbs water, I poured 60 mL of water on the same volume/type of soil that I am using to grow the plants; about 30 mL were absorbed.
candy4me

Project Question: Building a regenerative proton exchange membrane fuel cell
Project Due Date: early 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Return to Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences